“On top of the world”

Myrdalsjokull Glacier
Book In Advance
$572.05*
and up
South Coast Private Tour from Reykjavik with 1 hour of Snowmobiling on a Glacier
$119.90*
Southern Iceland Glaciers, Waterfalls and Beaches Day Tour
$259.91*
Snowmobiling Experience on Mýrdalsjökull Glacier
Ranked #4 of 27 things to do in Vik
Reviewed April 6, 2013

It's hard to imagine that when you consider where you are stood on top of this glacier, you are actually on the top of the active volcano. Not only that, but there is 750 metres of ice below you, and when the volcano goes up, it will take one hour to melt the ice. Funny thought really.

1  Thank MB201065

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This trip climbing up and down the glacier was scary, beautiful and heart-rending. The mountain of ice was amazing, and luckily had volcanic ash imbedded in it in places so that it was possible to climb...with crampons, of course. Several people in our group slid a bit down the mountain, but I was proud to stay on my feet, even when it started to get dark and rain. It was a good trip, but I felt so bad when the guide pointed out that the glacier was easily a half-mile short of where it had been just four years ago. Then I felt like I shouldn't have been walking on it and causing it to degrade faster. Afterwards we stopped at a farm near the volcano Eyjafjallajokull that the farmer had made into a museum about the eruption. Well worth the time.

1  Thank RasheaNY
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Didn't think it would be that cold. I was freezing to death as the wind blew me away and slapped my face. But as I saw the glacier, oh what a feeling that was. So beautiful. I'm proud having been here. Paid about 60 pounds for a South Shore Iceland trip with Reykjavik Excursions. Very wonderful experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Arcanum Glacier Tours arranged this for us. We drove to the location ourselves although it is possible to be transported. All necessary equipment, other than footwear, is available if needed and after a 10 minute lesson in 'ice walking' off we went. The guides kept up a constant stream of folk legends and very funny stories as well as pointing out the history of the glacier. Really good value and plenty of opportunity to take photographs.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

About as good a visit with a glacier as one can expect short of being dropped or climbing to the top of one. be sure to bring some sturdy moisture-proof boots with good traction and exercise due caution around the glacier itself.

1  Thank OMNISCIENT_ONE