“Heaven is real”

Slippurinn
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: WE ARE OPEN FROM MAY-SEPTEMBER We are proud to mention that in October 2015, Slippurinn was ranked as Iceland's second best restaurant according to the White Guide / Best restaurants in the Nordics. Slippurinn is a family run eatery by the harbour in a 100 year old building that once housed a machine-workshop that served the old shipyard. It's casual, friendly and excellent quality. Our philosophy is simple and honest, we cook our food from scratch using the best ingredients in season. We get most of our vegetables from farmers on the south coast and we go next door to the fish market to get the freshest fish possible. We grow our own herbs and salads and forage the island for wild herbs and seaweeds. Our unique cocktails made from local herbs are a must try! The highly ambitious kitchen is run by chef Gísli Matthías Audunsson. Indiana his sister, is the general manager and bar manager and mom Katrín is the front of house.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

One of the best and most interesting meals I have ever had. The young chef is adventurous and offers creative and innovative takes on traditional Icelandic dishes. Simple roots, wild herbs, the freshest fish possible - everything carefully prepared and presented so beautifully it seemed like a shame to eat it. They even have a cocktail made with Sorrel, which grows all over the island. This restaurant is a hauntingly beautiful dream.

3  Thank Zara K

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The best bacalhau da Islândia that I have ever tasted is served at Slippurinn. This restaurant is the best that I have visit in Vestmann islands.

3  Thank RobertTh_13
Reviewed June 21, 2013

What a gem. I can't believe places like this exist outside of metropolitan cities. The fish is the most fresh you can possibly imagine - the chef picks it up from the docks himself! We had Sorrel Mojitos (WHAT!) that were to die for. Everything was sourced from the island and had a rich yet delicate flavor. We tried all the desserts and I can say that it was far beyond my wildest dreams - sorrel was featured in one dessert with homemade skyr. I felt a little bad eating it since it was so beautiful! This place is owned and operated by a single family, and the attention to detail really shows. The ambiance was on par as well. Just gorgeous!

Would recommend a trip to the island just to eat here. WORTH IT.

7  Thank halstonb
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The best restaurant in Iceland hands down, and this is saying something after having tried dozens of the top 10 rated restaurants country wide in my past two visits.

I was not expecting such wonderful food off the mainland, but the cured lamb starter dish was, for me, an amazing gastronomical discovery. Never knew lamb could taste like so. The fish main course was perfect as all Icelandic fish dishes should be. The skyr based dessert was simple but delicious.

If only Reykjavik restaurants provided the same quality for the same price.

6  Thank Marmottalotte
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went for dinner last evening, family of four. It was a dinner time, the place was completely packed, they were serving the biiig group of noisy travelers. But we desited to give it a try. Immediately we got service, were shown a good table. Menu is very existing-local ingredients, but with exotic international swirl. The whole concept of the place is great-- ruff nordic style decor, unusual and unique. Though there was crazy to do, we got outstanding service and food was beyond wonderful. Both kids finished their meels too what says a lot. Must confess this was one of the best chicken I' ve ever tried. We will definitely be back soon, to try more of their menu.

6  Thank Hlynur1972