“Comfortable and clean”
Review of Guesthouse Arny

Guesthouse Arny
Guesthouse Arny
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just what we needed to be our base of operations on the Island. Perfect spot to walk to action in the center of town. Able to control our heat and to do laundry. Proprietress was a world class long jumper. Lots of awards from Europe, Iceland and North America. Anry and her daughter were spot on for help

Room Tip: House across the street is quiet and serene.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HJ T

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Basement room, shared bath. Not too clean and no breakfast and over priced for what you get. Too much money for what you get. By the way, if you do visit the magificent west an island, and I highly recommend you do for one day and one day only , DO BRING YOUR CAR over on the ferry so you can see the entire island, which has some of the most amazing sights to see. Food is horribly expensive , as is all of Iceland and limited and service in all restaurants and coffee shops was horrendous. Since no one tips, no one cares about good service since tips are included.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Maybe upstairs
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Guesthouse Arny is a little expensive and I'm not sure why more homes in Heimaey haven't been converted to guesthouses given the steady tourist traffic.

Arny feels a bit like staying with family - whether thats a good or bad thing is up to you. Some people appreciate the personal service, others might prefer a more standard commodity room. Same for the religious paraphenalia.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think my online booking was overlooked, based on the delay and phone calls when I checked in. I did get a room and it was comfortable, but it was across the street from the kitchen, lounge, and internet access (shared computer I believe, not wifi). There is a fridge in the 'annex' so at least you can have some drinks handy.

Room Tip: The 'annex' might be a good choice if you want to be a bit more removed from the homey feel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Arny is a wonderful lady. Very nice and accommodating. She interrupted her church choir practice and walked home to let us in because we called her last minute. The room was comfortable and private and had 4 beds and an extra mattress. She let us sit in her living room and use the internet. I would definitely stay here again, I even ran into her this morning at the community fitness/swimming facility and she let me borrow her goggles because I left mine on the mainland.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kitch L
Reviewed September 9, 2010

After a very, very long day of traveling to get to Vestmannaeyjar we arrived around 10:30pm and were hoping to check into our room and take our shoes off. Unfortunately, we couldn't be shown to our room right away, as the manager was out, so her husband guided us to a guest area where we watched a movie on mute while waiting for our host.

When she arrived she informed us that we'd spend our first night downstairs in the basement suite, then we'd have to pack up our bedding and bring it upstairs the next morning to a different room. Not what you want to hear when you just want to sleep in, but what could we do?

Our first room was clean, and I must say, for someone's house it was a very clean place. The furnishings have seen better days, as the clock didn't work and the TV remote was held together by tape, but the bed was clean and comfortable and the room very spacious (it was a room with two beds, hence why we had to move after one night).

The next morning our host was eager to get us upstairs, so rather than a relaxing start we felt rushed into hauling our stuff, bedding included, outside, then into the main house and up a couple flights of stairs to a very small room with no bedding (hence us bringing up what we'd used the night before). I thought the room had a nice character feel to it, but it was a bit irritating at night when the only light we had save for a small bedside light was a light with a red cover that didn't light up very much of the room.

The shower and toilets are shared with the other guests (I think there are three rooms in the downstairs suite, two rooms on the ground floor and three rooms upstairs), but seemed to be cleaned regularly. Doors are not locked when you're out, so if you're worried about your belongings that may be a concern.

The guesthouse is located about ten minutes from the centre of town and the ferry terminal. The street outside can be a bit loud from the infrequent traffic if you're facing the street.

For all my complaints, the family who run the guesthouse were very friendly and tried to be helpful. The daughter, in particular was a great help to us and made a few calls on our behalf regarding transportation. I'm not sure if I could recommend the place though.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mcnamn
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Location was good. overpriced. Lady who runs it quite strange and overbearing.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

With apologies to Arny this was a dissappointment. We booked this guesthouse* because the Thorshamar, and Eyjar were both booked (Heimaey is very short on rooms --- for now at least).

There is virtually no privacy... we had an 80sq ft. room with a slanted ceiling, and a shower downstairs for 75 Euro! IF YOU ARE OVER 6 FT TALL I WOULD AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS.

We have rated low for cleanliness... there is one shower - it was filthy. It also contained personal (and private) bathroom products which are NOT what you want to see when you have paid to stay in someone's house.

Although Arny was polite and honest, I do not think that she totally understands the concept here. It is not a free lunch.

I would avoid if you can, but book if you have to.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple