I don't want to make this overlong, so here's why we had an amazing time:
- It IS uphill, granted, but we found out the walking distance from the house to the centre of the town was minimal, and the views from our windows were amazing! We could see the church (Siglufjarðarkirkja) and the fjord the window! I look at my photos now and have a hard time believing I took such amazing pics from our window. Oh, and if you walk a bit further uphill, the views of the town and the fjord are to die for. So, for us, the location was an absolute PLUS.
- Þórir, the owner, made everything in his power to make our stay pleasant. There is no internet, it's not advertised. But when I asked, just to make sure, if there was WiFi, instead of simply saying "No, there isn't", he convinced the neighbour to let us use his WiFi network! When we opted not to have breakfast with him and his wife (because they were in another house and, frankly, with no sunlight until around 11 because it was December, who wants to have breakfast early?), he surprised us by bringing us bread, jams, yoghurt, juice! When the Herring Era Museum was closed (it was between Christmas and New Year's), he got the owner to let us in one night, and we had the museum all for ourselves, for free! And he also got us in the Folk Music Centre that same night, with a guided tour of the place, for just the normal entry price! Plus he invited us for coffee and snacks with him and his wife. Oh, and there was a gift for us when we arrived, because we had been the first ones to book in that building!
There, I kept it short and concise: the place is absolutely worth it thanks to the location, the views, and the amazing owner.
And if you're not sure about visiting in Winter, I can tell you that Sigló is beautiful at that time. In fact, it was with images of the snowy fjord I had fallen in love with originally.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ACCOMMODATION - All rooms come with made up beds and shared bathroom * Rooms are well furnished with blackout curtains * Luxury in bed and linens * Self service kitchen and dining room with TV * Terrace.The Herring House offers four bedrooms, three double/triple and one single room. The guesthouse can also be booked as a private apartment. Enjoy the afternoon sitting on the terrace gazing at the spectacular mountains and the midnight sun during summer time. For winter visitors this is the ideal location for winter sports, family vacations and to watch the northern lights. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your The Herring House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.