“Very good but we like Samba sushi better”
Review of Tapas Barinn

Tapas Barinn
Ranked #35 of 519 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: TapasBarinn is an extremely lively restaurant where Spanish tapas tradition meets the freshest Icelandic ingredients. It is located in a cellar at Vesturgata 3 in Reykjavik's central. The menu at TapasBarinn offers over 50 different meat, fish and vegetable dishes so you can take your time and experiment various flavour combinations. A must try is the Icelandic gourmet feast which is a great way to taste the best of Icelandic produce in one meal. The restaurant has been open since the year 2000 and has become a local favourite. It has the only kitchen in Reykjavík that is open 23:30 on weekdays and 01:00 on weekends. The breezy atmosphere and the Spanish effects in the decorations make TapasBarinn ideal for an enjoyable evening, a true ray of sunshine in downtown Reykjavík.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had the "Icelandic Gourmet Dinner" for 6,690 ISL/around $60 USD/person because we wanted to try things we are not able to get at home (whale, puffin, etc.). The Icelandic Gourmet includes: Smoked puffin with blueberry “brennivín” sauce, Icelandic sea-trout with peppers-salsa, Lobster tails baked in garlic, Pan-fried blue ling with lobster sauce, Grilled Icelandic lamb Samfaina, Minke whale with cranberry and Malt sauce and a White chocolate "Skyr" mousse with passion fruit coulis for dessert.
Although the food was delicious and I would not hesitate recommending Tapas Barinn, I thought the "Icelandic Feast" at Samba Sushi was more creative and interesting in their preparation and there seemed to be more locals patronizing the establishment.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

While I was adamant in trying Iceland's more eclectic offerings, the other members of my group were less adventurous - mostly dining on ham and cheese sandwiches. Obviously, finding a restaurant that suited everyone's tastes proved to be difficult until I read about Tapas Barinn on a blog. I liked the fact that it offered everything from whale and kangaroo(!?) to chicken wings and beef skewers. My friends were initially skeptical, but fell in love with the place on arrival. Between the three of us we ordered: smoked puffin, whale steak, patatas bravas, scallops, beef bourgunion, lobster tail, and meatballs. Some were better than others, we recommend the whale, potatoes, beef, and scallops! Yes, it was crowded and noisy but you'd be hard pressed to find a quiet place in the heart of the city anywhere in western Europe. Something to note, one of my friends is allergic to garlic making it hard to find anything in Iceland but the staff went out of their way to make sure she was happy. All in all, I would definitely recommend for the wide selection of decent food for cheapest prices we found in Reykjavik.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This restaurant never gets it wrong. It's like my second home and when I have visitors from other countries, I always take them to Tapas barinn. The food, the staff and the atmosphere is great! My all time favorite restaurant in Iceland :-)

1  Thank Dagbjort H
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We ordered regular and vegetarian tapas from the menu. Both were delicious and very filling. Excellent service and helpful staff.

1  Thank P K
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We read such glowing reviews and were looking forward to a great dinner--alas, the service was very friendly, the quantities excessive, the options ranged from uninspired (smoked salmon with cream cheese) to curious (puffin). But in the end, we each had different 6 mains/multiple desserts and neither was enthusiastic about any of the offerings. Perhaps we felt let down having eaten at The Grillmarket, the previous night. Almost the same price (though The Grillmarket dinner hadn't included any drinks) but no comparison.