“Lots of different foods”
Review of Tapas Barinn

Tapas Barinn
Ranked #35 of 518 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: TapasBarinn is an extremely lively restaurant where Spanish tapas tradition meets the freshest Icelandic ingredients. It is located in a cellar at Vesturgata 3 in Reykjavik's central. The menu at TapasBarinn offers over 50 different meat, fish and vegetable dishes so you can take your time and experiment various flavour combinations. A must try is the Icelandic gourmet feast which is a great way to taste the best of Icelandic produce in one meal. The restaurant has been open since the year 2000 and has become a local favourite. It has the only kitchen in Reykjavík that is open 23:30 on weekdays and 01:00 on weekends. The breezy atmosphere and the Spanish effects in the decorations make TapasBarinn ideal for an enjoyable evening, a true ray of sunshine in downtown Reykjavík.
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Tapas is a really good way of trying different Icelandic foods without having to have a full meal. We shared the icelandic feast menu (includes puffin, whale and blue ling), with additional 3 tapas (duck, foal and mushrooms). The food was plenty for 2 of us. We also had a jug of sangria - we had the one made with white wine instead of red. The total was approx £90. As we had only planned one expensive meal out, we found this restaurant an excellent way of sampling different tastes to the UK, and we didn't spend as much as we expected to. The staff were really friendly and kept our water jug topped up throughout.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,576)

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I would never have gone out of my way to eat tapas in Iceland, but I am so glad we stumbled upon this place. We had gone out to eat at one of the seafood places on the water, but I am not a seafood eater. Afterwards we came here because I was still hungry and it was around the corner from the hotel. The menu was huge, very extensive. I ordered the mushrooms in garlic, the chicken wings and the hummus. Everything was absolutely delicious. We sat at the bar and chatted with the staff, who were very friendly and welcoming.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was the perfect place to celebrate my husband's birthday in Iceland. We ordered their two house specials: the "Tivoli Menu" and "Discover Iceland" which provided a total of 15 tapas-size courses. We enjoyed minke whale (it was like beef tenderloin), guillemot (a bird related to the puffin - also red meat), wolf fish, artic char, cod, lamb, tiger prawn, spotted catfish, and many other Icelandic specialties. Our waitress explained each of the courses and the side items that accompanied them. Our only complaints were that some of the serving dishes were really worn and we seemed to wait a long time between some of the courses. We left four hours later, and US$166 lighter, fully satisfied. We highly recommend this if you're just in Iceland a short time and want to try many of their dishes.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is by no means inexpensive but then again nothing in Iceland is cheap. However, the tapas concept allows you to order several small bite-sized entrees where you can share with a dinner date.If you are daring you can try something exotic. If it doesn't work out or you don't care for it then the size of the meal is such that you aren't wasting much. The downside is that if you stumble upon something really awesome well, there just isn't much of it and you'll have to order another. I tried 3 dishes and my wife tried 2 dishes so we got to share 5 things we wouldn't normally order. Everything was excellent and we didn't go away hungry. Note-tipping is not necessary and is included in the price of your meals in Iceland.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

What a great place! Definitely not the cheapest, but the Icelandic tasting menu is one of the best I saw when it comes to adventurous tastes!

The atmosphere is fantastic, the decor too just makes it a really great place to sit with a few drinks, have a selection of tapas or some bar snacks. The tapas menu is VERY extensive with at least 60 options if I remember right.

They get very busy, we went on a week night so we only had to wait 5 minutes for a table but we were with a local friend and she was worried that we hadn't booked. So it's probably a good idea to just in case, and DEFINITELY at the weekend as I understand it gets packed.

Drinks are pretty expensive although we didn't get to experience much of the nightlife during our visit so I don't know how it compares to other places. I had rum & coke and I think it worked out around £7!!! I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, but!!

The gourmet feast was honestly fantastic and so worth the price (6,690ISK, a lot of the adverts still say 5,990 so that was a little annoying). My other half had an all-meat kebab selection with lamb, beef, chicken, lobster etc, and he loved it, especially the lamb which in Iceland is a must-try!!

The gourmet feast starts with a shot of the local spirit Brennivin, one of the travel blogs I follow describes it as a mix of sambuca and vodka and I'd say that's absolutely right.

Next is the first controversial one: puffin. It's a bit rubbery and VERY salty, and although I really liked it, I had to eat it in moderation between the other courses!! Definitely could not eat a whole course of it, purely because of how salty it is.

The ling in lobster sauce was delicious, I'm not really a fish person so I wasn't sure about it but I wolfed it down! The lobster tails, too! The sea trout was the one I really thought I wouldn't like, but everything in Iceland is so fresh that I actually enjoyed it. In the end, I only ate half because I was beginning to get pretty full and I was prioritising the other courses!

The lamb kebab was absolutely gorgeous and I wish we'd had a chance to have some more of it another night. And finally, the big one... here goes... I REALLY liked the whale. It's slightly tougher in a way than steak, and I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it, but I thought it was really nice! The sauce completely complements it too (this goes for the other dishes as well).

The skyr dessert was also great, we had a tub of it from a shop (as a yoghurt) and it's not quite the same as this, almost a cross between a mousse and a cheesecake! The sorbet with it was delicious too.

Service was quick and friendly, they introduced each course as it arrived, although they started bringing them more and more quickly, so I ended up being surrounded by 4 plates at once!! Which was fine as there were 3 of us at the table but had it been a small table, there might have been a problem haha!

Also look out in hotels etc for "mini cards" advertising places in the city because ours had one for this place with a 10% off coupon. As we were planning on going anyway, this was a huge bonus!