“unique icelandic feast at a great price”
Review of Tapas Barinn

Tapas Barinn
Ranked #46 of 529 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: TapasBarinn is an extremely lively restaurant where Spanish tapas tradition meets the freshest Icelandic ingredients. It is located in a cellar at Vesturgata 3 in Reykjavik's central. The menu at TapasBarinn offers over 50 different meat, fish and vegetable dishes so you can take your time and experiment various flavour combinations. A must try is the Icelandic gourmet feast which is a great way to taste the best of Icelandic produce in one meal. The restaurant has been open since the year 2000 and has become a local favourite. It has the only kitchen in Reykjavík that is open 23:30 on weekdays and 01:00 on weekends. The breezy atmosphere and the Spanish effects in the decorations make TapasBarinn ideal for an enjoyable evening, a true ray of sunshine in downtown Reykjavík.
Reviewed January 18, 2014

wanted to try something local and Icelandic.. and Taps Barinn offer this..
they had an Icelandic feast, 7 dishes for 6,600 ISK krona, which featured Puffin in blueberry sauce and whale meat
it was had great taste and not too fishy, but i guess they cooked in sauce to hide the true taste of it.
overall, place was nice and busy and service was great and describing each dish.

must try if you want to try some Icelandic dishes along with some Spanish theme dishes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

A mob of us took part in the Icelandic tasting menu...puffin, minke whale, lamb, lobster.... It was a raucous event...the young ladies who served us were friendly, patient and pretty. A good time was had by all.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a really excellent restaurant. Icelandic food - Tapas style. Really fresh food, we had the Icelandic Tapas tour, 7 small courses with very good food. The service is great. We were early and the food was fast. We asked to slow it down. If you go here early say to them that you want to eat slowly otherwise you will be out of the restaurant within 90 minutes eating 7 courses. If you don't want to eat a course dinner you can choose from the many icelandic tapas style menu. If I ever go to Iceland again I will visit this restaurant again.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This review is about a year late, but better than never. I lived in Reykjavik for a while, and Tapas Barinn was my absolute favourite place to go for an evening meal. Fantastic food, great value and outstanding staff made for a no-brainer any time I wanted to go out for the evening. I often sat at the bar chatting to whoever was on duty that time (usually Huld, the gorgeous manageress, who was so kind to me). I also appreciated the later hours it kept compared to some of the competition, as I'm quite the late eater.

The menu is really top notch with a very international vibe using high quality local ingredients. Iceland is very expensive, so Tapas Barinn is really outstanding in terms of value for money. I can't speak highly enough of the staff, absolutely every one of them was genuinely welcoming and warm, and totally professional. I even met the chef a few times, and had

When I next return to Reykjavik, this will be my first port of call!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We really loved the food at Tapas Barinn: beautifully cooked, very generous portions, and great selection. Good for vegetarians too, they should make more of this. The service was also excellent and the atmosphere good. Lots of locals there when we visited - very highly recommend.

1  Thank SausageTravel