“Nice food but a little too loud and too dark” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tapas Barinn

Tapas Barinn
Ranked #34 of 455 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, European, Mediterranean, Spanish, Scandinavian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: Tapasbarinn is an extremely lively restaurant where Spanish tapas tradition meets the freshest Icelandic ingredients. It is located in a cellar at Vesturgata 3 in Reykjavik's central. The menu at Tapasbarinn offers over 50 different meet, fish and vegetable dishes so you can take your time and experiment various flavour combinations. A must try is the Icelandic gourmet feast which is a great way to taste the best of Icelandic produce in one meal. The restaurant has been open since the year 2000 and has become a popular place with the Icelandic crowd. It has the only kitchen in Reykjavík that is open 23:30 on weekdays and 01:00 on weekends. The breezy atmosphere and the Spanish effects in the decorations make Tapasbarinn ideal for an enjoyable evening, a true ray of sunshine in downtown Reykjavík.
Smarden, United Kingdom
“Nice food but a little too loud and too dark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We ate here one evening in April during a short stay in Reykjavik. The dishes were tasty but came out very sporadically as it was cooked - I have only ever eaten in tapas restaurants where all the dishes comes out together, or nearly at the same time, but here we had a very long wait between receiving the first dishes and the last, which was a bit of a pain as the dishes I selected came out first and were cold by the time my Mum had received her first dish. I understand tapas is supposed to be shared and perhaps it is normal for tapas to come out very sporadically, but it was a real shame not to enjoy half our food hot. It is also quite pricey, but this is the case for the vast majority of restaurants in Reykjavik - Iceland is not a cheap!

Unfortunately, although the food was tasy and the customer service friendly, it was very dark in this resturant and the music was very loud. I was travelling with my parents who found it extremely hard to hear what I was saying and found it even harder to actually read the menu - something I struggled with too and I'm in my 20s! The music was very Spanish and upbeat and I get that they were tyring to create the right atmosphere but we would have had a much better experience had the music been turned down a little so we could actually hear each other and the lighting up a bit so we could see all the choices, as we ended up just picking whatever from the menu to save the eye strain.

This restaurant would be great for some people and I can see the appeal, but I don't think it is everyones cup of tea. However, the food itself is tasty and it is in a nice part of town.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Voorhees, New Jersey
“MUST GO to Taste of All Icelandic Foods!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Probably top restaurant experience in Iceland. We were able to try all the Icelandic foods like whale, puffin, horse, etc. without having to order a whole meal of it AND each dish tasted delicious! For fantastic service ask for Adam - I think we looked at the menu for all of two seconds. He basically told us what to order, which was awesome because there was so much to choose from. Very quick service and great food. Very surprised it's not rated higher.

• Visited March 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, great choice but pricey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

The staff are really friendly and very knowledgeable about the wonderful food that they serve. It is definitely Tapas with a twist. I had the Icelandic menu and my other half had the chef's choice. So lots of varied dishes. I would definitely recommend this place.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful welcome, fabulous food superb service, definitely worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended and I was not disappointed but would certainly advise booking a table to avoid a long wait, we were fortunate to be found a table as we had not booked, the only downside being it was right by the door so saw first hand how many people were being turned away or told there was a 2hour wait for a table unless they had booked! the restaurant was busy and the atmosphere was great, the staff were friendly and keen to advise on choices from the menu but for anyone who is keen to try Icelandic options the set menu is definitely the way to go, being great value for money, we did not feel rushed and were delighted with the quality of the food, wine and service, will certainly go again next time I visit Reykjavik

Canon City, Colorado
“Big fun at dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by someone in Reykjavik and we had to check it out on our last night in Iceland, and so glad we did! Besides the food being amazing, ( I don't think any of us had something that wasn't great) we were lucky enough to have an amazing waiter named Adam who really made the experience for us. He was the most fun and entertaining waiter any of us had ever had. He made recommendations for us to try, and he was right on the money each time. We all had a great time and will go back on our next visit.