“A nice restaurant”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Chatham, United Kingdom
“A nice restaurant”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We ate at this restaurant as a friend from Iceland recommended it. Unfortunately we had to move out reservation to 6pm from 8pm otherwise we would have missed the Northern lights tour ( which had been rescheduled from the original date) This meant that there was only one other couple in the restaurant so we didn't really get to sample the atmosphere. Food wise my starter of puffin was nice - unusual and with a pickle sauce. My husband's French Onion Soup was delicious. My husband had a steak - this was nice and I had a shark steak. This looks like an enormous sirloin and I did enjoy it - my brain was telling me it was like a steak. However by the end I realised that it did have a fishy taste. I enjoyed it but would probably not have it again. My husband's dessert was mousse and again was lovely. My Skyr brûlée was also lovely. The waitress was try nice and I am sure that in the evening when the restaurant is full there is a lovely atmosphere. I liked the decor - bistro style. I would recommend eating at this restaurant. My only negative is that the emails that I sent from the UK to book a table in advance were not answered. I had to get my tour operator to contact them in the end . I am not sure if the email address in the website is correct?

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
“A different Icelandic experience”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

As AA Gill listed this place as his favourite restaurant in the World we felt compelled to pay a visit whilst in Reykjavik.

It is a little out of the Centre but luckily was just round the corner from our hotel (Holt).

It is quite a small place with almost a French bistro feel.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly. And so on to the food.

As you will have seen from the other reviews it serves an eclectic mix of Icelandic specialities including Minke Whale (not really morally supportable), horse, guillemot, and decomposed shark.

I opted for the smoked puffin breast to start - quite sushi like, very smoky with a liquorice after taste. Different and very good. My wife was equally pleased with her smoked mackerel and scrambled eggs.

Mains were delicious - mine a beautifully cooked piece of halibut with lobster & a lobster sauce - divine. Wife chose an Icelandic speciality of hashed fish (cod) in a cheese sauce served with black bread. Also fantastic if very heavy with the bread almost being a cake/pudding in flavour!.

The only negatives were that the drinks are expensive (as like all Iceland) and the Tom Collins I had costing over £10 I'm pretty sure contained no gin - if it did I couldn't taste it! Also the service was too fast for my liking - we were in and out within an hour and a quarter. However these do not detract from the main event of the food which was exceptional.

Thanks for the recommendation Mr Gill!

Visited January 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A taste of Iceland”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were recommended this restaurant close to the Cathedral by our hotel, as somewhere we could try a variety of Icelandic dishes. Although the tasting platter wasn't on the menu, the Smoked Puffin starter was delicious, the mustard sauce proving a perfect accompaniment. The German couple next to us were not enjoying their fermented shark and let us try it - definitely an acquired taste. Our mains of Sirloin of Horse and Halibut with Lobster and Lobster Sauce were filling and well presented, but my wife's Seafood Gratin was overly salty, the sauce much too strong. Our ice cream and shared Skyr brulee desserts finished the meal well. Not cheap - about £110 without any alcohol for our three courses, but the atmosphere was quite homely and staff attentive to needs.

• Visited January 2014
“This place is wonderous.”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have eaten things here that I have eaten more than once, here. You cannot get these things in other places, so, suffice it to say, you have to eat these things here. This restaurant is inherently Icelandic, and outstanding in every way. Such a lovely decor, and very authentic, Pro tip: go early, and take your time, and leave before the "rush". Get to know the places, and get to know the people. Everything on the menu is magnificent.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank nobodyhomenow
Norway
“Authentic and down to earth”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I got two recommendations to this restaurants plus a couple of friends who raved about it. And it`s really good! Had a tasting plate with whale, shark and puffin (felt a little guilty trying the last one though) - very tasty and fresh. I was early bird for dinner, but at around 7.30 it started filling up. Kinda a rustic decor-wize, but very sweet and homey. Staff is really nice and attentive. Would go again for sure!

• Visited December 2013