“Varied Menu and Great Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

3 Frakkar
Ranked #54 of 455 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, European, Soups, Scandinavian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pittsburgh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,312 helpful votes
“Varied Menu and Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I tried a few of their Icelandic dishes. The food was very good and the service was very efficient - probably the best we had in Iceland. We walked in without reservations on a Wednesday night in April. Reservations would likely be needed on weekend and in the summer as the place is pretty small.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Sea food restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Food at the Frakkar was excellent. Friendly waiters and good service. I ordered an orange roughy and lobster dish which was heavenly, also got a complimentary soup with the dish. Must try if you are in Reykjavik.

• Visited April 2013
Canada
“Recommend the hash fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a nice restaurant a few minutes walk away from the downtown tourist core and located in a more residential neighhood. We enjoyed the homey atmosphere of the restaurant and the authentic Icelandic dishes.

I would recommend the has fish which comes with some sweet tasting black bread. Very good!

Be aware that the prices are a bit on the higher end, but I would definitely recommend this restaurant for an excellent taste of Iceland.

Toronto, Canada
“Icelandic Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

This restaurant was on my list to visit during my stay in Reykjavik as it has great review from others. And it lived well up to the expectations as giving an authentic taste of Icelandic cuisine. Here, you could try the hákarl (fermented shark) with the brennevin, horse, cod chins, puffin, guillemont among other more traditionally Icelandic flavours. The location is a bit out of the main city but within walking distance easily.

The decor is warm and ecclectic and inviting. The service was good and our food arrived in reasonable promptness. We started with the minke whale sashimi and the fish soup: both were tasty and simply prepared. For our mains, we tried the cod chins (gratin) and the hash fish. Both were a little heavy for what we were accustomed to but were delicious none-the-less. I wish we had tried the guillemont but didn't have the stomach space.

We went early in the week without reservations and didn't have trouble getting a table but did go quite early in the evening. The place filled up quickly and seems to bring both locals and tourists.

Overall, worth trying out while you're in Reykjavik.

London
“Prir Frakkar Reykjavik's finest culinary experience - a must eat for any visitor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

On a four day visit to Reykjavik I wanted to make sure that we tried the best in local cuisine, as I am firm believer of when in Rome, eat as the Roman's do. So unlike most visitors who chose to head to the nearest Thai or KFC, we chose to try out some of the better local restaurants offering top local foods.

Strangely when I mentioned the name of Reykjavik restaurant Prir Frakkar to our taxi driver from the airport to town, he waxed lyrical about the place and knowing the owner and how it was amongst the best restaurants in Iceland.

So on our first night we decided to hop a cab to Prir Frakkar having first had our hotel reception make a reservation as apparently it was a busy place. Prir is slightly off the beaten track tucked away opposite some flats and house literally opposite Reykjavik's iconic Hallgrims church. So it is a place you have to seek out as opposed to stumble across in town. Maybe for this reason it is primarily chock full of local Icelanders and the odd tourist or three.

If from the outside it looks understated then once inside the feeling is even stranger as it's like walking into someone's front room. The words, compact, small and quaint best sum up Prir. There is little room between tables but once you are shown to your table you are not uncomfortable although it is hard not to join the conversation on the table next door.

Our waitress this night was Sara who is the grand daughter of the owner of Prir whose name I cannot recall and who had hurt his arm and was sadly off work. Sara looked after us brilliantly and was another shining example of all that is good about Icelandic customer service.

We ordered a mix of starters and main courses so we could try a bit of everything in terms of real Icelandic food. This included Puffin which arrived as smoked strips of meat that tasted more like oily fish due to the large amounts of fish these birds actually eat - kind of weird but nice. Minkie Whale in sauce tasted a little too fatty for my liking and I was told that a whale steak would be more meaty. with all the furore in the UK about horse being substituted for beef it seemed strange to actually order a real horse steak and the orange rugby which is quite like monkfish prepared in a wonderful lobster sauce. The horse it is fair to say was a favourite amazingly meaty, lean and fat free.

All in all it was one of the finest meals I have ever had in my life and having eaten in restaurants around the world I do not say this lightly, the whole experience was excellent. The cost of our meal for two with drinks was around £100 and it was worth every penny, and there was a second visit to sample the reindeer pate and more horse.

I recommended Prir to those I met during my stay in Iceland and since getting back to the UK have learned it is Jamie Oliver's favourite restaurant in Iceland - totally agree with him.

3 Thank del_singh