“lovely cozy spot”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The food was very good but not the best I've ever had. I had a paice dish, a light fish I had twice in Iceland but had never had before. It's a delicious fish and was perfectly cooked. The sides were a little unsatisfying, just white rice (seasoned but not a pilaf) and a smidgin of veggie. What made me so happy about this restaurant was the charming homey feeling of the different tiny dining rooms and the cozy warm atmosphere. It seems to be a favorite neighborhood restaurant and was full of mostly locals. The neighborhood is lovely to walk in after dinner, just two blocks from the big cathedral. This restaurant was recommended by an Icelandair flight attendant and her husband we met in Reykjaviik.

There are newer reviews for 3 Frakkar

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place was my least favorite of the restaurants we dined at in Reykjavik. The food was unimaginative. Our mains had boiled carrots and potatoes along side the fish. The sauce I had with my main was the same as the fish soup I had for my starter. The atmosphere was cosy and the wait staff was basically attractive women from 18-24 yrs old.
The food wasn't "bad" but you could have AMAZING food for the same price if not less at other places where they chefs take enough pride in their food to serve something else but boiled carrots and potatoes with their mains. GO TO FISH COMPANY instead - much better and more creative food for the same price if not cheaper.

1  Thank AnnieSabor
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were four people who tried different Icelandic dishes. Cured minke whale tasted very good. The shark was not anyones cup-of-tea, but seagull fillet was actually quite good. Horse meat was also nice. Icelandic food seems to go best with beer, and their local beer is perfectly suited to the job. A pleasant evening indeed.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

While we were at the Flea Market, a nice local girl started talking with us. She started telling us about things we should see and places we should go and this restaurant was at the top of her list of places to eat.

We decided to show up just as it opened, and even though we didn't have a reservation, they squeezed us in. It was really delicious, we both had soup and an entree and it was really tasty. I had the fish soup which was a very generous portion of creamy broth, with large chunks of fish in it. I'm not sure but I believe I was eating cod, char, and shrimp. The meat we had for the entree was cooked perfectly, and the gravy and vegetables were all very tasty.

We decided that we wanted to splurge on one meal, and I'm so glad that this was the place we decided to do it.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

As our wedding was small one we decided to have our reception here. It is not set up for wedding receptions, but we were given an area that was separated partly from the other customers. The cuisine was icelandic and everyone enjoyed the food. The owners/staff were very polite and helpful. They even organised an icelandic wedding cake for us that was fantastic.