“So sad.”

Solon Bistro
Ranked #54 of 514 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: International, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Solon Bistro offers a great variety of small courses, salads, hamburgers, sandwiches and steaks in addition to fresh fish daily. Solon Bistro is located in the city center, at the top of Bankastraeti just below Skolavördustigur. The old building that Solon resides in is very beautiful with lovely interior design which gives the restaurant a vibrant and romantic look and feel. The second floor is for rent and more information please contact via email. The wine menu is very versatile and you’ll find wines from most of the world’s renowned vineyards. Coffee, drinks, cocktails and snaps of all sorts can be found at Solon Bistro. You're always welcome.
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I echo some others who suggest not to bother. If you have a good guide book it should direct you to better dining experiences. I ordered the vegetable panini, which says it includes olives. None appeared. It is also supposed to include squash. Is cucumber a squash? So it was essentially a hot dog bun with tomato and cucumber and mozzarella. DISAPPOINTING. Can you say bland?

The only thing this place has going for it is the location, if you like to people watch.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Excellent food and service. No rush to leave - could have stayed all night but unfortunately had to leave hotel at 5am for early flight home!!!

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We just came back from a meal at this place. We heard about it from our landlord ( we are renting a vacation apartment). We also read tripadvisor reviews and walked by before we went in.

Lets talk about the food first. There are 4 of us in the group, one vegan, one vegetarian, and two who eat everything. I got the lamb goulash, my friends got the quesadilla, panini, and linguine pasta. I asked how big the goulash was, and was told its a meal size. It was freezing outside and we were all very hungry. My goulash came in a HUGE bowl with very little food in it. It was more of a vegetable soup with some overlooked lamb slices. My friend who got the panini says his fries were the worst he's ever had. I thought they were ok, but cold and slightly under-cooked. We had better fries at gas stations since we have been here. My vegan friend got the linguine without chicken. It came in a bowl with about 70 olives and VERY little pasta. For 2450 kr (about $20), it was literally a bowl of pasta with plain tomato sauce and a million olives. Not a mushroom, not a basil flake in sight. And please don't try to fool us with these huge plates and tiny amount of food.
There was really no effort or pride that went into the food. I have had better at a diner in the US for 1/4 the price. You are better off with a hotdog at the Bonus market.

The service was very average. Our waiter was nice but really no extra effort. We never checked on us or refilled my water.

Overall, this was extremely underwhelming for all of us. For the price, I'd rather go to a grocery store and get a campbell soup. I would've saved the 2000 kr, since that's probably what they used.

Save your money and keep on walking when you see this place.

2  Thank usayhi
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were impressed with the wide variety of meal options (burgers, seafood, indian, many more) and the fine dining atmosphere. Conveniently close to our airbnb apartment. We had the fish and chips and tandoori chicken, both of which were excellent. Love European portion sizes - they are just right. Wait staff were friendly and prompt.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went here after struggling to find somewhere with a vegetarian option for myself. We were seated quickly despite it being busy and our order was taken quickly. The food was hot, looked appealing and tasted delicious. It's expensive compared to UK prices but reasonable for Reykjavik. Only downside was the service was poor towards the end of our meal, but it was busy at the time.

1  Thank Nixxypies