“Excellent Indian food”

Shalimar
Ranked #116 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Pakistani
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Miõborg
boston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Indian food”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We ate here our first night in Reykjavik mostly because it was right next to our hotel and we were too jetlagged to try something more adventurous. We were pleasantly surprised - the food was fresh and delicious. We got the vegetarian meal for two, which included two entrees, naan, raita, mango chutney and dessert. All of it was excellent.

The staff seemed a little bit harried, but that's because this place does a ton of take-out as well. When we arrived we were the only diners there, but by the time we left the place was full. Tons of people were coming in and out to get take out. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good sign that the locals like it.

We'll definitely come back.

• Hungarian first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great little place with fresh Indian and Pakistani food.”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had Tikka Masala and the special and chili naan. It was great. Service was good and fast.
The place is small, but easy to find. Prices are fair, especially for the amount of food. There are very few Indian restaurants in Iceland, but if it's any indication, the Icelandic people dining there said they preferred this one over all others. I believe one of the others is owned by a guy who also owns a Thai restaurant.

I would recommend!

1 Thank sj1923
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Disapointing”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

No where near as good as Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani cuisine in the UK. Putting that aside though, the food is overpriced, could make better at home and very small portions. we had a set menu for 3 and had two very tiny bowls of two different curries, enough rise for 1 person and tiny Naan breads.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank JMBBLUES
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and excellent service”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were greeted immediately by a friendly lady who sat us down and gave us the menus. There was lots of choice and it took a while to decide. I went for Onion Bhaji pakora, which were delicious, they were very light and not greasy at all. My only complaint was there was too many and I had less room for my main! My husband had Prawn pakora and he said the same, very light and not greasy.

For main I had the spicy vegetarian dish, I forget which ones it was but it had chick peas and was gorgeous. It was just the right spicy that I like. It came with rice and salad which I didn't realise, as I had ordered 2 chapatis as well. Hubby had Chicken green masala or something like that. He said it was lovely and would definitely have it again.

The price was expensive for an Indian, but about average for Iceland. I would definitely eat here again, the food was lovely and not greasy at all, and the service was friendly and welcoming.

London
“A pretty decent place”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Top line: very nice food, but would have liked a little more!

Dropped in here on my first night in Reykjavik - the streets were empty and we saw this small restaurant was busy - a good sign in my book. We were quickly shown a table, and our order was taken swiftly. We went for the set 3 course menu for two people. The starter was chicken pakora, main was a single lamb dish, a single chicken dish, and a single bowl of rice, and traditional Indian dessert.

I can't fault the food - it was very nice indeed. The service was good as well - I don't recognise any of the complaints written by other people.

But considering the meal cost over 8,000 krona - over £40.00 - I would have expected the portions to be a little bigger.

For the price I paid I could have eaten until I burst in London. I know Iceland is different, and food is imported and more expensive, but I just felt a bit more of everything wouldn't have hurt.

Visited October 2012