“Very tasty with perfect spices”

Austur-Indiafjelagid
Ranked #63 of 516 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Extremely tasty food with perfectly mixed spices. The garlic naan melts in your mouth. We had all vegetarian with delicious raita, byrani and eggplant. The atmosphere is romantic, dark with candles. The service is terrific, with smiling and helpful wait staff. The only reason this does not get a five rating is that it is overpriced. Smallish portions, but all delicious. I will eat here again when we return to Reykjavik.

AusturIndia1994, Manager at Austur-Indiafjelagid, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Dear Steve, Thank you for your feed back. We are very happy to hear that your enjoyed your visit to us. On the topic of pricing, we would like to point out that if you compare our prices to other full service restaurants in Reykjavik, you will find our prices fair. Regarding portions, our policy is to ensure that every guest leaves us fully satisfied. If you are ever in Reykjavik, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

A stylishly furnished upmarket restaurant with an excellent selection of unusual indian dishes from many parts of the sub-continent. The Rajasthani and Keralan dishes were particularly good and the Kalimirchi Lobster (Spiced Lobster tails) was to die for. The naan breads are authentic and cooked in a traditional tandoor. A fantastic find and no surprise that its been in business for more than 20 years.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Tonight was our last night in Iceland and Austur India was a great way to end a week of wonderful meals. I came across a glowing review of this restaurant in Frommers (quite outdated) and coincidentally my parents had been to this restaurant 10 years prior and gave it rave reviews too. I am an Indian American living in Singapore, so Indian food is not new to me and I am very picky about it. I have to say one of the best meals I've had in Iceland (see other reviews - we ate very well) -- my husband said it might be his favourite. Reading the other reviews, price has come up often -- Iceland is expensive across the board, so I think it is a bit of a waste of space to discuss so extensively. This was money spent well (including a great bottle of wine!). Service was really warm and helpful. I'd definitely return if I'm ever in Reykjavik!!

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We had a takeaway from here and not bad, not the best I've ever had but it was nice. You could easily miss this restaurant on a quite road just off the main shopping stripe. Inside very nice decor, greeted by friendly and a fast service. However it did work out over £25 for a main dish and £10 for pilau rice wow!!! But it seems that eating out in Iceland is general very expensive. If you like Indian food then you won't be disappointed until you get the bill

Reviewed July 30, 2014

The restaurant is in a quiet and a little run down looking street 4 or 5 minutes walk from the main centre, but well worth the walk!
Once inside, the restaurant is nicely decorated, service was excellent throughout, the range on the menu was wide and including interesting less common dishes, and the food was excellent.
One of the best Indian restaurants I've been to.
It's not cheap, but I'd say fair for what you get for Iceland prices.