“Memorable end to a week of great meals!”

Austur-Indiafjelagid
Ranked #43 of 529 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Tonight was our last night in Iceland and Austur India was a great way to end a week of wonderful meals. I came across a glowing review of this restaurant in Frommers (quite outdated) and coincidentally my parents had been to this restaurant 10 years prior and gave it rave reviews too. I am an Indian American living in Singapore, so Indian food is not new to me and I am very picky about it. I have to say one of the best meals I've had in Iceland (see other reviews - we ate very well) -- my husband said it might be his favourite. Reading the other reviews, price has come up often -- Iceland is expensive across the board, so I think it is a bit of a waste of space to discuss so extensively. This was money spent well (including a great bottle of wine!). Service was really warm and helpful. I'd definitely return if I'm ever in Reykjavik!!

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We had a takeaway from here and not bad, not the best I've ever had but it was nice. You could easily miss this restaurant on a quite road just off the main shopping stripe. Inside very nice decor, greeted by friendly and a fast service. However it did work out over £25 for a main dish and £10 for pilau rice wow!!! But it seems that eating out in Iceland is general very expensive. If you like Indian food then you won't be disappointed until you get the bill

Reviewed July 30, 2014

The restaurant is in a quiet and a little run down looking street 4 or 5 minutes walk from the main centre, but well worth the walk!
Once inside, the restaurant is nicely decorated, service was excellent throughout, the range on the menu was wide and including interesting less common dishes, and the food was excellent.
One of the best Indian restaurants I've been to.
It's not cheap, but I'd say fair for what you get for Iceland prices.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Who goes to Iceland to have Indian food? We do, apparently. Wonderful decor and atmosphere and excellent service with 'reasonable' prices. Easy walking distance from Old Harbour area. Everything, bar none, was very very good. Spencer loved it so much that we went back a second night (our last night)- I had wanted to return to Fish Market, but alas, the curry called too strongly for the deprived Brit living in Seattle, where he claims there is no good Indian food. Pretty delish.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Yes, I know Indian food is so much more than the Naan, but I can't stop thinking about the Garlic Naan at Austur! While the rest of our meal was fantastic as well, the Naan was amazing! Paired with a side of chunky mango chutney...yum!! My husband and I split a delicious chicken dish, the name of which I can't remember, but was cooked with coriander, cardamom and onions, among other flavors. It was soooo tender and juicy! We also shared a bottle of Vino Verdi, and some water, and the bill was just under $100. In Reykjavik, this is about the norm, if you order drinks with your meals.
Austur had made some changes to its interior, but the staff remains attentive and efficient, while letting clients dine in quiet comfort. We will be back! Don't forget the Garlic Naan! :)