“great food”

Neighborhood: Miõborg
Chichester, United Kingdom
“great food”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had read a lot about the food here and we were not disappointed, we booked a table via our hotel for sunday evening, the place was busy but our food arrived in good time and tasted great, I can see why Harrison Ford likes it

• Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Seltjarnarnes
“Real fire of spices”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The East-India Company is by far the best Indian restaurant in Reykjavik, with a real fire of Indian spicing. You have to ask for milder versions if you prefer those.

On February 5th I tasted tandoori-grilled Lobstertails with ginger and garam masala. And banana-leaf wrapped salmon marinated in chili, cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger. Both were perfect and the lobster was soft inside.

Main courses tested were: tandoori-grilled chicken marinated in ginger, cumin and cardamom. And well marinated filet of lamb in beetroot, chironji seeds, cashew nut paste, cumin and chili. The lamb filet was soft from the oven.

Conveniently located near the city center. Outside there are roadworks which should be finished in two months.
Dinner only. The bill for two came to €120. It is expensive, but worth it.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank jotakappa
“Prententious, Overpriced and very bland food!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have never experienced a more pretenetious Indian restaurant in my life (and being British Indian myself, I regularly seek out Indian food in the UK and on my world travels). The prices are hugely overinflated (>£20 for one main dish and £10.50 for POPPADOMS?!!!) and not justified by the quality or variety of the food at all. I was absolutely shocked at the lack of vegetarian options given every tiny Indian take out around the corner elsewhere offers the basics like chick peas and spinach dishes. How can this place call itself an Indian restaurant when it can't even cater for its own (a large proportion of Indian people are vegetarian). I did not find what we ordered authentic at all. My partner ordered a vegetable pakora (although given a much uneccessarily fancier name on the menu!) which was miniscule for the price paid (1999 Kronas- £10.50). And again...who in their right mind would order a poppadam for £10.50?!! Due to lack of other vegetarian options for a starter I actually ordered a Daal side dish as a starter- this was very tasty (but obviously overpriced). My partner had butter chicken for main which was in some runny, fluorescent red/pink sauce (NOT authentic) and I had the most bland paneer dish I have ever tasted even though I asked for spice. My curry was full of large amounts of inedible cinnamon bark and was extremely dry with no sauce..or taste..whatsoever. And the mains were £20 each!!!!

The place may have fancy décor, but it lacked the genuine warmth, personal service and friendliness of Kitchen Eldhus down the road, for example (in my opinion one of the best Indian restaurants ive tried in Europe).

Most laughable of all is how pretentious this place is- its very uncomfortable to be greeted by rushed forced smiles, and condescending looks when asking for something as simple as a mushroom dish (which they could not do as it was not on their very limited menu). To give you an idea of how ridiculously non-authentic and pretentious this restaurant is...they call a good old chapatti a "Svelt Naan"! Enough said!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Teenytinytin
London UK
“Beautiful food”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Amazing food. Quite pricey but the food was simply Devine. I had the salmon curry. It was a Goan dish with coconut and was beautiful. My partner had the lamb and spinach which had lots of lamb inside. We shared a vegetable biriani and it came backed in a dish sealed with a light Indian bread which was a great touch. They also serve brown boiled rice which is great for the health conscious. Very cosy place and the waiters are friendly. The food tasted different to most Indian restaurants in London. I heard that the chef came from a 5 star hotel, not sure if it's true but the food is definitely worthy of five stars.

Visited January 2014
Ireland
“Superb food, but expensive even by Icelandic standards!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Ok, I know how expensive Iceland is, as I lived there for a while, but Austur is really expensive. However, it is superb, with really excellent and outstanding food. We paid almost 100euro for 2 mains, 1 starter, naan + popadum + 2 beers. 10 euro for popadoms! 5/5 for flawless food, but less for value.

• Visited February 2013