“Indian food in Iceland!”

Austur-Indiafjelagid
Ranked #39 of 496 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were going to have Thai food at a restaurant with carry-out nearby but they wanted us to wait 30 minutes before taking our order and we didn't want to wait, so we came here instead. We were taken care of immediately, which is good since we were hungry. The food was good but I have to say it was different than any Indian food I've had before. Not as spicy as I'm used to, a bit bland, and more of a tomato base. However, we enjoyed everything we ordered. Reasonable pricing for Reykjavik where all food is expensive! The service was very good, but considering there were only a handful of diners eating here at the time we came in, I can't compare it to service we might have received if the restaurant was full. The decor was nice, homey, comfortable, and I'm glad we came here.

1  Thank sarana919
There are newer reviews for Austur-Indiafjelagid

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great curry, was recommened here by a seasoned Icelandic traveller, and it certainly didnt disapoint.

A little pricey, but worth the money if you want a curry.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you are from the uk, you will be used to a good standard if cooking and service. At this restaurant, the service was passable, the decor good, but the food very average. As a British Asian myself, I felt they were out of touch with Indian cooking and were charging extortionate prices for very average (if that) cooking. We left there scratching our heads. Nobody begrudges spending money on a decent experience. But if you love curries then this is not the place for you. Probably best to try the Icelandic food (there are some great fish restaurants around here) and leave the curry to your local!

2  Thank SatL199
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the restaurant for our anniversary and the food was delicious and the ambience was lovely. At the time of booking I had mentioned that it was our anniversary and the staff surprised with a special dessert. Whilst it may not be the cheapest restaurant it is definitely worth going on a special occasion.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Probably the best indian food experience we've ever had. Why in Iceland? Went twice in two weeks and both time all of us had excellent meals. The lobster dish was exquisit.