“Average meal but others have fared better”
Review of Domo - CLOSED

Domo
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, French, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Average meal but others have fared better”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We came here for dinner in early 2011 as a friend had a good experience and was very enthusiastic about the place. It was pretty empty on the night we went (a Saturday!) and by the time we left it had not got much busier. When we walked in the staff looked rather surprised for a few seconds just stared and said nothing. We explained we had a booking which eventually brought things to life. We had a good experience with the tasting menu at The Fish Market the night before (see review) so opted for it once again here at Domo. Unfortunately the experience was not the same. The tasting menu featured vegetable tempura, sushi and sashimi and that was about it. The first course of tempura was pretty okay but soggy batter and vegetables cut far too thickly made the dish heavy and a little greasy when it should be the opposite. Then all of the rest of the food came at once (which was stated on the menu we discovered later) so it made for even more of an anticlimax. The sushi was fine. Their softshell crab special was very nice, the halibut sushi rolls were okay but overall the sushi here is nothing special and some pieces felt a little 'old'. The sashimi was better but there wasn't much of it. So that was it, the tasting menu over. We felt a little short changed so decided to have a dessert. Bad move. We chose a creme brulee that was supposed to be served with cinnamon ice-cream. Instead it came with what tasted like a cheap commercial strawberry ice-cream (a pet hate of mine unfortunately) and the brulee tasted like it had come straight from the fridge and lacked any actual brulee as fas as I could tell. Worse, to us it tasted sour - as if made with bad milk or cream. We sent it back and the waitress informed us that the chef disagreed and said it was how they make it. Okay well I guess we agree to differ on that. They offered us another choice and the French chocolate cake was fine, if nothing special (and still came with the same bright pink ice-cream mush as before). We paid the bill (which included one dessert) and left not so much in a huff but certainly in a worse mood than when we arrived. It wasn't awful at all - just very average and a little below par in places. I'm sure it's been better as my friend's experience suggests but just not on this occasion.

• Visited January 2011

New York City, New York
“Just no.”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I never thought a restaurant could be so bad. They had a Christmas buffet going, which was bad. I love smoked salmon, but somehow they managed to make it taste rotten. The meats were gross and over peppered, and trying to find the shrimp in the 'seafood salad' was similar to playing marco polo.
Sushi consisted of about 90% rice and vegetables and only 10% of tasteless fish. Wasabi was dark green and looked like it's been left out for quite awhile. The roe around the sushi was absolutely disgusting. It's probably the most disgusting thing I've tasted in my life.

To top it off, we had a fly in our soy sauce bottle. Where did they find flies in iceland?

The service was great and the food was presented well. It just tasted terrible. I wish I was exaggerating, but everything we've tasted in Reykjavik so far has been between mediocre and delicious, while this restaurant was simply atrocious when it came to food.

Golf del Sur, Spain
“good but confused”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

great value but not quite sure what it is, good food though, lamb fantastic but doesn't need the slightly overcooked lobster on the surf & turf, Nice to have the choice of having a bottle of wine under £25, not had that so far here !

“Excellent food of great quality and excellent service”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I went to Domo on Culture night (21.08.10) along with 12 other people. We had booked the table in advance since it is located down town and they were quite busy but that did not affect the quality of the food or service.

I had "Tenderloins of chicken with fresh tomato concasse and salad" as an appetizer and shared it with my spouse since it is categorized as a "small course".

For the main course I had "Tenderloin of beef, pepper steak with green pepper sauce" and my spouse had "Grilled lobster and saddle of lamb “Surf and Turf”". This was just amazing, there were others in the group that ordered the same dishes and they were very pleased with theirs as well.

There is no dress code but some of the groups (including a part of my group) were very nicely dress, perhaps because they are celebrating a special occasion, but there were many others that were just casually dressed. It was also quite chilly this night so better to have more clothing than less :-)

I liked the interior as well, simple but efficient and nice. However it was quite tight along our table since the chairs are very large and difficult to move them around when the tables are all together (we had 6 tables together in one long row).

Despite the prices being a little higher than other restaurants, I would really recommend it.

uk
“Chomp chomp yum yum”
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Had a most excellent anniversary meal here. Not cheap by any means but worth every penny. It's only a couple of points off mainland Europe fine dining.
I thoroughy enjoyed the meal. The sushi and sashimi was excellent. The Horse steak was superb, but a bit drowned by the seriously peppery sauce. To my palette the vegetables were a bit too al dente.