“Five star food, three star service”
Review of Ban Thai

Ban Thai
Ranked #207 of 511 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had a similar experience with the service as other reviewers did. The saving grace? The food. It was shockingly good Thai food for a place outside of Thailand. We had the pad gra pow and the yellow curry - both were excellent and well spiced. It was a little odd that they don't let you pick your own spice level but they had such an extensive menu that it didn't really matter. We picked out spice level first and then that helped us navigate the menu a little easier.

While it did take 45 minutes for our food to arrive and the counter / table ordering was confusing, the food was absolutely delicious. We will go back and just order takeout next time.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Every time I go there I am happy to be alive .
The food there is just too good for the low price that you pay. With every bite you take you feel how happiness fills your heart and different tastes fills your mouth. I don´t mind waiting for my order even 40 min or one hour because restaurant is a place where you want to get best food and take your time while talking with your friends or family members. Also it usually takes 15- 20 min to get your meal when it is not crowded, but when it is crowded you know that you are not the only one that loves this place and these wonderful meals :). When I want to grab some snack I go to fast food restaurants. So Ban Thai is a wonderful restaurant with beautiful, quick and polite waitress that are doing their best in their job , two very professional cooks that have a 20 years( or more) of experience (I saw how their were preparing, cooking every meal with much care) , wonderful meals that just melts in your mouth, appetizers that are always tasty and good to get while you wait for your main dish, also they have quite a big variety of wines if you want to add some romance to your dinner :).

So if you are not in a hurry and want to ENJOY the best meals in Iceland I would recommend Ban Thai. When I first came there and after I tried their food I knew that next I am going to bring my friends and family there to have this great experience with me. I am happy to share my experience with you. I think it is worth waiting for such a tasty and healthy food and because of great service and good food I always like to come back there again and again.
Oh! I just love the food there so much! :D Just go there and have your great experience and see for your self how great this place with it´s delicious food and nice atmosphere :)

2  Thank tetasi t
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Right by harbour quick service filling meal just strange that order at counter then bring over to you all in all good filling me at a reasonable price

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I get that people are complaining about the service, but it isn't really the service.
People complain about the food taking too long to arrive at their table, well this place isn't very big, and the chef is a professional, she knows the dishes by heart, usually it's full there, no wonder your meal takes long to arrive, the chefs are 2, the waitresses are 2, and there's one cleaning the dishes.
How can you truly expect to get your meal after 20 - 30 minutes when the place is full of people, there's take-away also, so there's A LOT of cooking going on in there.
I can promise you, when you get your dish of meal, you will DEFINITELY NOT regret it! the food is amazing there! This place has been going on for around 25 years, and when i see people complaining about bad service, waitresses being rude, bad food, these are all lies, Ok so what the waitresses don't ALWAYS have a smile on their face, do you? no i didn't think so, there's a lot of work going on in there, so it's always busy, i only wonder, isn't is just YOU that is in a bad mood? use it on the waitresses to make yourself look "good" ? That's called being rude, YOU not being able to wait for your meal when there's a lot going on in there, in such a small place but such good food, it's you, not them.

The waitresses are great, they try their best to do everything perfect for YOU, else they would loose their jobs if they wouldn't, no one likes to have someone working for them not even trying, it's their JOB, so stop the complaining, sit and wait, eat your food, because it's definitely worth it.
The chef is a master in what she does, also does the owner, this is their life, this is their passion, they know the meals by heart, soo.. you saying that the food takes too long, it's simply because everyone LOVES the food there, THAT'S why so many people go there, it's professional.

So when i read complaints about Ban Thai, i just think, woah, this person had a bad day, or he/she is just very grumpy, likes to pick on those because he/she isn't satisfied.
I read below that someone recommended to go to the place next door, Yummi Yummi, because that place is better? guess what, it's the same owners you idiot.

Give Ban Thai a chance if you haven't been there, and if you have, and you didn't like the waiting time, go again, i know you want it, the food is delicious!
Don't be a grumpy person, be positive about it, no one likes someone so grumpy.

3  Thank Keli P
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have been to this place three times:

4 years ago: The food was good and service was fine.

1 year ago: I had to wait 1 hour to get my order.

Some days ago: Service was terrible, fire alarm went off and food portions was far away from being large enough. "Sharing dish" thing is too complicated to understand. They say that it's cheaper to share with others, but when we got a dish to share, it was a regular portion with very small portion of rice. So we had to order more food in order to get full.

However, food tasted as good as other two times and they highlight that they prepare food with out MSG. But It's not a good reason to charge twice more expensive than other Thai restaurants in town, just because there's no MSG in it.

I returned to this place for a third time to make a reunion with good friends I dined out with, 4 years ago (at this place), but I must say it totally lost its charm so I will not return to this place again.