“Thoroughly enjoyed by Thai lovers”
Review of Ban Thai

Ban Thai
Ranked #192 of 535 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My family and I LOVE Thai food and this place was recommended to us by a local when we were staying in Reykjavik. The place is a little small and cramped but it has a nice relaxed atmosphere. The food is DELICIOUS- everything we had was awesome, but I'll admit the service wasn't great. The waiter basically disappeared after serving our food and was apathetic when he finally returned. Also, we waited at the table for probably 15-20 minutes waiting for the check before finally realizing it was waiting for US up at the counter..I guess we just weren't used to the concept and no one bothered to point it out to us..oh well! Overall a great meal

Reviewed June 21, 2013

It's rated excellent because of the food. The food is so unbelievably great!
However, the service is not great, It might be because they have only one chef working but you have to wait a long time for your food, so I recommend if you're going there (and I DO recommend you go there) that you're not starving when you walk in the door since it's going to take a while.
The waitresses were doing what they could but they seemed a bit sour and you felt uncomfortable asking for anything.
But, the food is worth it.
Best Thai in Reykjavik, hands down.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Let me first say this is The best Thai I have had in Reykjavik, and Ive tried them all. However I've eaten here maybe five times over the last five years, and last night's service was by far the absolute slowest ever. It's been slow before, but the fresh,authentic quality of the food seems to make up for it...well perhaps last night was the tipping point. I was seated upstairs for the first time, and maybe because we were out of sight we were out of mind? There were times when the waitresses didn't come at all for over fifteen, even twenty minutes. The group next to me wanted to order extra rice and did but it never ever came and by then their main was cold so they gave up and left. On the upside though the food quality itself is on the good side. Lots of fresh ingredients and spiciness is pretty representative of Thailand.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

As other reviewers have commented, this place doesn't look like much if you judge by its appearance. Don't let that put you off, this is authentic Thai food at fair prices for central Reykjavik. The food was wonderful and the service fast and friendly.

Heat levels are indicated on the menu from no chillis to 5 chillis. If you order something with 4 or 5 chillis you'll get a warning from the waitress and then the owner/chef comes out of the kitchen to warn you too. Fair play, they're right to, because I changed my order from red curry to something with 3 chillis instead and that was at the heat level I would ordinarily expect from a red curry. 5 chillis is for the hardcore heat lovers only.

If you're looking for Thai food in Reykjavik, would definitely recommend.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Ban thai is a small restaurant on two floors, near the downtown and Hlemmur area. The interior is quite dark and decorated with questionable taste, but don't let that put you off. Ban thai is simply the best thai restaurant in Iceland, bar none, and has been for several years.

I went there on a Saturday night and the place was crowded. The was a bit of a wait for the food, but it was worth it. Be aware that dishes marked spicy in the menu are quite spicy, even if this is Iceland. We had chicken with cashew nuts and green curry, both very good. The waitress was friendly, the portions large and prices reasonable by Icelandic standards.

This is not the place to go to if you want attentive and professional service or want to admire your surroundings. But it is the place to go to for tasty thai food that never disappoints. Ban thai also has take-out service, but does not deliver and is not open for lunch.

1  Thank Svala J