“enjoyable meals”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
southwest
“enjoyable meals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went here twice during our stay stay in Reykjavik and enjoyed it both times. One evening was a lot busier than the other but we didn't have a problem with the service. The food was very tasty.

• Visited September 2012

Malta
“Best Thai-food in Iceland, and very reasonably priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

The food is always great. The service is always very polite, but if the place is full, they can easily become overwhelmed, and you might end up waiting a long time. That is just the nature of this little gem. Having lived 4 years in Reykjavik, I keep coming back here frequently, because it is very good food at very reasonable prices.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Klaus J
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
“Horrible service, worst restaurant experience I've had in Iceland.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went in there for what I thought would be quick food, since it's a thai restaurant. We ordered two dishes to share, after 45minutes our food came, but to our surprise the waiter told us one of the dishes was really spicy. We did not order any spicy dish so we asked if he was sure, he told us that this was our dish. Stupid of me to accept the dish but I really didn't remember what I ordered after the wait, I took two bites and found out that this just couldn't be my dish, it was extremely spicy.

He comes back in 2 minutes with a menu and shows us my dish on the menu. I ordered 146. He points at 46 and I see that it has 4 chilis (out of 5 on their heat scale). I told him that I ordered 146. He rather rudely told me that I should have known what I was buying, that I should have seen that I had the wrong dish and that because I tasted the other dish he couldn't get me another one. He then tells me that the order he got said 46 not 146 so it wasn't his fault. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I didn't want to wait another 40 minutes for the right dish so I just ate that spicy dish. He comes back in 10 minutes or so while I'm eating and tells me that the dish I'm eating is more expensive than the one I ordered, so because of the mistake I'd only have to pay for the dish I never got. I was expecting something better, was pissed and barely able to eat the dish but didn't want to make a scene.

I couldn't eat the whole thing, it was extremely hot. I end up going to pay and I see the note with my order on it. I see it clearly and it says 146, not 46. So he had been lying to my face the whole time and blaming the mistake on his server while he obviously made the mistake. He also made some jests at me asking if it was too hot, laughing while asking, this was while I was paying. I'm pretty sure that man was the manager, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy to deal with this scumbag.

I'm never coming close to this place again. Horrible experience, I shouldn't have payed for my food, I should have left after waiting 30minutes.

• Visited August 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Superb restaurant, best in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Service was good, the food excellent (the Tiger Cry in particular was a cut above the average oriental restaurant). Nice environment, recommended.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Bob499476
Iceland
“Best thai food in Reykjavik”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Been a fan for a number of years, and during this time Ban Thai has been amazingly consistent in food quality. The service can be slow at times, and the decor is dated, but what do those things matter if your getting a great meal at a very fair price with good service. Most of the courses are available at around 1690 ISK, and drinks also come at a fair price.

Word of advice from a curry junkie. The hot dishes are hot at Ban Thai.

• Visited August 2012