“A great price for a great meal.”

Icelandic Fish & Chips
Ranked #102 of 529 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: We opened in December 2006. Our goal was to provide fresh and healthy food made with the best available Icelandic ingredients. There was never a question it would be all about fish, fish clearly being our best stuff in Iceland. Borrowing a bit from our neighbours the Brits to make it possible for us to serve a quick meal in bistro style, we went for the simplest of available delights: fish'n chips. But we have changed it a bit. The batter is not the regular one, but our own simplified version without eggs but lots of spelt-spelt being a more complicated carb than regular wheat and therefore crisping up better in the frying oil. Oil-wise, we stay away from Omega 6-laden vegetable oils...Because in the western diet we consume way too much Omega 6. We use rapeseed oil for its tolerance to heat and its Omega 3. And then there's the potatoes: oven-roasted in wedges, and tossed in freshly cut parsley and the locally made salt from Saltverk. We don't wanna fry them because they are high in carbs. Unlike protein-based fish, carbs soak up oil like sponges; we know that oil is essential to our diets, but we really don't wanna overdo it. Anyways, oven-roasted potatoes keep better the potato flavor and we love potato flavor. To us salads are essential to any meal heavily laden with Omega 3. Therefore we offer a selection of salads to everyone's taste. Last but not least our dips are made from skyr, technically fresh cheese, but a uniquely Icelandic milk product that for ages we have treated a bit like yogurt. It is a virtually fat-free protein base that we generously mix with good oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil, according to what flavor we are mixing in. Everything on the menu is made in our kitchen with the best possible ingredients we can find.
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had the fish and "chips" along with battered cauliflower and broccoli. We loved the batter and enjoyed the experience, well recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,546)

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We ate here on our first evening in Reykjavik having stumbled across the restaurant while exploring the harbour side of the city. Good service and excellent fish served with salads and tasty chips. The restaurant seemed very popular with locals and tourists alike. Tables in the centre are a little close together but this just adds to the atmosphere. Good value and would certainly recommend it.

1  Thank AlanMay1961
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am sad to say that I didn't enjoy my meal at Icelandic Fish & Chips, I should have known better and avoided this tourist restaurant...
We had the lobster soup and the battered cod with potatoes. The food was average. Not bad (the soup was quite good) but really nothing special or worth eating again.
The restaurant shares the same venue as the Volcano House so you get the feeling of eating inside a shop or a tourist centre...
The service is hurried. We ordered the soup as a starter but all the food was served at once...a few minutes after we ordered it, clearly meaning the fish is not fried on order, but it's prepared beforehand. I ate the soup in a hurry so that my fish would not go cold in the meantime...by the time I started eating the fish it was cold and unappetizing.
We ordered two types of potatoes (salted and with garlic) but they tasted exactly the same. The tartar sauce didn't taste of tartar sauce.
It was a disappointing meal and I wish I had spent my last meal in Reykjavik somewhere else...

3  Thank Marla412
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Popped in here a Saturday lunchtime just for a drink but the food looked very good - the restaurant itself is light and airy with delightful staff.

Will have to try the food if I ever return to Reykavik (am hoping to do so because I need to see more of Iceland - three days was just not enough!).

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Fresh fish is abundant in Iceland, and this place is no exception. wide variety of fish to select from, kind of funky basic sides, lots of side suaces. Light flakey battered fish that doesn't taste oily or sit heavy. Reasonable prices.