“Go elsewhere...anywhere.”

Ranked #66 of 516 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: We opened in December 2006. Our goal was to provide fresh and healthy food made with the best available Icelandic ingredients. There was never a question it would be all about fish, fish clearly being our best stuff in Iceland. Borrowing a bit from our neighbours the Brits to make it possible for us to serve a quick meal in bistro style, we went for the simplest of available delights: fish'n chips. But we have changed it a bit. The batter is not the regular one, but our own simplified version without eggs but lots of spelt-spelt being a more complicated carb than regular wheat and therefore crisping up better in the frying oil. Oil-wise, we stay away from Omega 6-laden vegetable oils...Because in the western diet we consume way too much Omega 6. We use rapeseed oil for its tolerance to heat and its Omega 3. And then there's the potatoes: oven-roasted in wedges, and tossed in freshly cut parsley and the locally made salt from Saltverk. We don't wanna fry them because they are high in carbs. Unlike protein-based fish, carbs soak up oil like sponges; we know that oil is essential to our diets, but we really don't wanna overdo it. Anyways, oven-roasted potatoes keep better the potato flavor and we love potato flavor. To us salads are essential to any meal heavily laden with Omega 3. Therefore we offer a selection of salads to everyone's taste. Last but not least our dips are made from skyr, technically fresh cheese, but a uniquely Icelandic milk product that for ages we have treated a bit like yogurt. It is a virtually fat-free protein base that we generously mix with good oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil, according to what flavor we are mixing in. Everything on the menu is made in our kitchen with the best possible ingredients we can find.
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Whomever give these meals anything other than a very poor rating are woefully misguided on how a real fish restaurant meal should taste. Our cod and chips was an absolute joke. The very small portion of cod was coated in a ridiculous amount of tasteless batter and the garlic chips consisted of soggy, oily wedges of artificially blackened potatoes. One of the worst meals I have ever been served and the waitresses could not churn it out quick enough to the hungry masses, I can only assume to first time customers. If these reviewers who chose anything other than complimentary ever get the chance to dine in an Aberdeen fish and chip restaurant, yes virtually ANY one they would be astonished at the difference. Shame on you Iceland, get your act together and produce a meal of at least an acceptable standard. We only had three nights to choose restaurants for dining in, I'm very angry I wasted one here.

2  Thank 9alanwicker
Write a ReviewReviews (4,292)

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My friends and I wanted to try this restaurant based on previous reviews one of us had read. All of us had fish and some type of potatoes. We also each ordered some sauces, of which they have many, but which were not necessary. They come in a number of varieties including basil and mango but they're close to $5 apiece, which is a bit pricey. The fish and chips are pretty reasonably priced for Iceland. The dollar equivalent is about $20.00. The fish is very lightly breaded and delicious, not greasy at all, and only requires a bit of salt. They have a variety of potatoes (garlic, rosemary, etc.), all of which are very tasty. This is a no frills place; you order and pay at the register and they bring your food to the table. Pitchers of water are on a side counter and you serve yourself. The restaurant is located very close to the harbor from which the Northern Lights tour boats depart, so go for dinner before your tour.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

After being sat at a table, and noticing what I was sure was a take out line, I noticed that no one was approaching my table. If this happens to you, just get up and go order your food in the front. A wonderful server will bring you your food, and it will be excellent. It's less expensive than Kopar, but that could be for the self-service. I enjoyed wonderful Tusk on greek salad here, and it was delicious. Don't let the self-service get in your way of having excellent food at Icelandic Fish & Chips.

1  Thank JeffSkott
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Our second visit to Iceland and again my wife and I decided to have a meal here, following last year's nice experience.

It hasn't changed at all.
It's still 'semi-self service', where you order and pay at the counter before it's delivered to your table, a little like a British Fish and Chip restaurant in appearance and it's still organic.

It's also still very good.
Just under 40 GBP (65 USD) for cod (2 pieces each), roast potatoes, bread basket and drinks. Good value, just a couple of minutes walk towards the Old Harbour from central Downtown.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The restaurant is simple in its appeal but serves one of the best fish and chips I have ever had. It’s a good place for a tasty lunch and some interesting conversations with friends. This is definitely a restaurant I will be visiting again.