“Yum!!”

Icelandic Fish & Chips
Ranked #61 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: We opened in December 2006. Our goal was to provide fresh and healthy food made with the best available Icelandic ingredients. There was never a question it would be all about fish, fish clearly being our best stuff in Iceland. Borrowing a bit from our neighbours the Brits to make it possible for us to serve a quick meal in bistro style, we went for the simplest of available delights: fish'n chips. But we have changed it a bit. The batter is not the regular one, but our own simplified version without eggs but lots of spelt-spelt being a more complicated carb than regular wheat and therefore crisping up better in the frying oil. Oil-wise, we stay away from Omega 6-laden vegetable oils...Because in the western diet we consume way too much Omega 6. We use rapeseed oil for its tolerance to heat and its Omega 3. And then there's the potatoes: oven-roasted in wedges, and tossed in freshly cut parsley and the locally made salt from Saltverk. We don't wanna fry them because they are high in carbs. Unlike protein-based fish, carbs soak up oil like sponges; we know that oil is essential to our diets, but we really don't wanna overdo it. Anyways, oven-roasted potatoes keep better the potato flavor and we love potato flavor. To us salads are essential to any meal heavily laden with Omega 3. Therefore we offer a selection of salads to everyone's taste. Last but not least our dips are made from skyr, technically fresh cheese, but a uniquely Icelandic milk product that for ages we have treated a bit like yogurt. It is a virtually fat-free protein base that we generously mix with good oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil, according to what flavor we are mixing in. Everything on the menu is made in our kitchen with the best possible ingredients we can find.
“Yum!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Really delicious fish and chips. We tried the cod, plaine (icelandic white fish), and blue ling and they were all tasty. I found the plaine to be the most tender but all the fish were great. My husband ordered the orange salad and it was underwhelming. The onion rings were fantastic and all the dipping sauces were good. The fries/chips were good as a vehicle to try the sauces, but I think the onion rings were way way better. Definitely worth trying for a casual lunch.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
cottage grove, oregon
“Good value, melt in your mouth fish!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Hard to find restaurants that don't break the bank but Icelandic Fish and Chips was a great find. Very good fish and I believe they also use all organic products. All condiments come extra. Worth a visit.

England
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Lovely Fish and Chips, absolutely delicious, would thoroughly recommend. Not extortionately expensive either.

Hamilton NY
“I've had better”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The menu contained a wide variety of fish, which you could order either broiled or fried. There were various types of potatoes available, and various sauces. You order each item separately at the counter, then they bring it to your table. The waitpeople speak English. My fish was good, but not great. I found it a bit watery. I don't think I'd go back.

Visited January 2013
Beverley Uk
“Very Good Fish”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We turned up at the restaurant and got sat down straight away, you select what you want and then go order at the bar. The service was good and the food was very good, my wife had the Haddock and I had the Red fish, mine was good, but my wife won with the haddock it was superb. The portions are not massive, but I felt it was about right really, I certainly was not hungry when we left. The price for Icelandic rates was reasonable as well and as I said the service was good, well worth a visit.