“Excellent”

Ranked #67 of 504 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: We opened in December 2006. Our goal was to provide fresh and healthy food made with the best available Icelandic ingredients. There was never a question it would be all about fish, fish clearly being our best stuff in Iceland. Borrowing a bit from our neighbours the Brits to make it possible for us to serve a quick meal in bistro style, we went for the simplest of available delights: fish'n chips. But we have changed it a bit. The batter is not the regular one, but our own simplified version without eggs but lots of spelt-spelt being a more complicated carb than regular wheat and therefore crisping up better in the frying oil. Oil-wise, we stay away from Omega 6-laden vegetable oils...Because in the western diet we consume way too much Omega 6. We use rapeseed oil for its tolerance to heat and its Omega 3. And then there's the potatoes: oven-roasted in wedges, and tossed in freshly cut parsley and the locally made salt from Saltverk. We don't wanna fry them because they are high in carbs. Unlike protein-based fish, carbs soak up oil like sponges; we know that oil is essential to our diets, but we really don't wanna overdo it. Anyways, oven-roasted potatoes keep better the potato flavor and we love potato flavor. To us salads are essential to any meal heavily laden with Omega 3. Therefore we offer a selection of salads to everyone's taste. Last but not least our dips are made from skyr, technically fresh cheese, but a uniquely Icelandic milk product that for ages we have treated a bit like yogurt. It is a virtually fat-free protein base that we generously mix with good oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil, according to what flavor we are mixing in. Everything on the menu is made in our kitchen with the best possible ingredients we can find.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Lovely Fish and Chips, absolutely delicious, would thoroughly recommend. Not extortionately expensive either.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The menu contained a wide variety of fish, which you could order either broiled or fried. There were various types of potatoes available, and various sauces. You order each item separately at the counter, then they bring it to your table. The waitpeople speak English. My fish was good, but not great. I found it a bit watery. I don't think I'd go back.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We turned up at the restaurant and got sat down straight away, you select what you want and then go order at the bar. The service was good and the food was very good, my wife had the Haddock and I had the Red fish, mine was good, but my wife won with the haddock it was superb. The portions are not massive, but I felt it was about right really, I certainly was not hungry when we left. The price for Icelandic rates was reasonable as well and as I said the service was good, well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Heard a lot about the food so had high expectations, which they exceeded! All staff were friendly and quick to clean up any spillages. Food looked attractive as it was served nicely, and the portions weren't too big, but big enough! Not the greasy fish and chips I'm used to at all, the fish was pure white and the batter very light. Having fish and chips will never be the same again, will definitely come back here if in Reykjavik again. Locals were eating here too - a sign how good it is! I liked the semi self service style, although sometimes the queues got a bit long. The only improvement I can suggest is not charging for dips which I find I bit silly, and offering more drinks. Wasn't able to get a coca cola or even an orange juice.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Unpretentious, good value place by harbour. The fish was very fresh-try the tusk. The chips are a misnomer as they are actually a bit more like potato wedges but tasty all the same, especially the garlic ones. The batter was light and not greasy and was complemented by a crisp salad and a taster plate of dips. I loved the ginger and wasabi and the chilli but my boyfriend rated the coriander as the best.