“Don't Miss This!”

Icelandic Fish & Chips
Ranked #61 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: European, Soups
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Description: We opened in December 2006. Our goal was to provide fresh and healthy food made with the best available Icelandic ingredients. There was never a question it would be all about fish, fish clearly being our best stuff in Iceland. Borrowing a bit from our neighbours the Brits to make it possible for us to serve a quick meal in bistro style, we went for the simplest of available delights: fish'n chips. But we have changed it a bit. The batter is not the regular one, but our own simplified version without eggs but lots of spelt-spelt being a more complicated carb than regular wheat and therefore crisping up better in the frying oil. Oil-wise, we stay away from Omega 6-laden vegetable oils...Because in the western diet we consume way too much Omega 6. We use rapeseed oil for its tolerance to heat and its Omega 3. And then there's the potatoes: oven-roasted in wedges, and tossed in freshly cut parsley and the locally made salt from Saltverk. We don't wanna fry them because they are high in carbs. Unlike protein-based fish, carbs soak up oil like sponges; we know that oil is essential to our diets, but we really don't wanna overdo it. Anyways, oven-roasted potatoes keep better the potato flavor and we love potato flavor. To us salads are essential to any meal heavily laden with Omega 3. Therefore we offer a selection of salads to everyone's taste. Last but not least our dips are made from skyr, technically fresh cheese, but a uniquely Icelandic milk product that for ages we have treated a bit like yogurt. It is a virtually fat-free protein base that we generously mix with good oils such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and sesame oil, according to what flavor we are mixing in. Everything on the menu is made in our kitchen with the best possible ingredients we can find.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Don't Miss This!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

A little place off the track - but well worth a visit, service is friendly and a great atmosphere! The fish is fresh and menu has been kept simple but done with exceptional perfection!

Visited December 2012

• Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Probably the best fish and chips ever. Plates are a little small and awkward but the food made up for it. Service was great too.

• Visited January 2013
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Nice fish and chips with a twist”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

At this place you pick what kind of fish you want, it's usually the catch of the day. The food is nice, but the only thing is that you have to serve yourself.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Just, YUM”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

nothing to say here, the reviews do it justice. A no frills fresh fish place that emphasizes health while cooking. Potatoes are roasted in olive oil and maldon sea salt instead of being fried, fish is battered with barley and spelt, desserts are phenomenal. Just go:)

Visited January 2013
“DO NOT COMPARE IT TO AN ENGLISH CHIPPIE! or go there with that expectation! It would be wrong and unfair to do so.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I am really surpiesd by all the poor and bad reviews on here... My only thought is that maybe they were expecting something similar to what we have in England.. Well don't, frankly.. You're in Iceland and if you want an English chippie, go to England to find one! We went to this restaurant with very few expectations after having seen the mixed reviews and were pleasantly surprised! I don't eat fish normally but my partner does and I rather naively hoped they might serve other things aswell, you can imagine my disappointment when I got there and they only serve fish (well it is a fish and chip place, so it was what it said it was!), so I expected to be be hungry when I left.. My partner persuaded me to try some fish, so I went for cod and he had wolf fish. Well I can honestly say that I was really impressed! The fish tasted ok, with nice delicate flavour.. The chips were tasty and it was served with a nice salad.. Dessert was also tasty; typical icelandic pudding and all in all it was a very pleasant experience. I didn't leave hungry and I really enjoyed it (surprisingly enough!). The portions weren't huge, but personally I think that was good as you didn't end up feeling 'stuffed' or feeling like you've over eaten - perhaps that's where others have been disappointed.. I would go there again.

1 Thank KarenR34