Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $213.19
from $1,078.63
from $282.20
More Info
All reviews happy world hot chocolate northern lights stargazing tour ghost stories small group success rate these guys professional photos elusive lights land rover an amazing experience clear skies cold night first night cloud cover amazing pictures
Selected filters
Reviewed December 16, 2017

It is fair to say that my visit to Iceland was very much centred around seeing the Northern Lights and to achieve this I actually booked on 3 different tours. I have now sadly returned from iceland a place that I can honestly say is one of my favourite places in the world and a true "Bucket List holiday", but on to the tour. The three tours I booked were with different companies so I would hopefully get some variety and they all had a slightly different angle. To be fair they were all goo in their own way but her I will focus on the Happy World Tour. I have written other reviews on the other tours so feel free to read them.
I think is is fair to say that we should not focus on the Northern Lights as this is somewhat out of the control of the tour and in the hands of Mother Nature. That being said we did see them and I was delighted. However had we not seen them I understand that we would have been invited back at a time of our choosing to try again which is fairly standard for most of the tours. What is perhaps more important to say is that even if we hadn't have seen the lights I believe I would have still really enjoyed the experience!
Our tour consisted of approximately 10 people across two Landrovers and two tour guides. The main guide, Þröstur, was an absolute credit to not only the company but also his father who was the other guide. The evening was filled with humour, information, friendly discussions and a very clear passion for the job they were both doing. We really did hunt the lights as they were proofing a bit tricky that night but also got to see some very interesting places along the way, the "haunted house" and the geothermal vent pumping steam and gas in to the air and some of the other sights along the way.
They really went the extra mile to give us a great experience event pulling off the road at about 2 am when we had all said goodnight, were driving home and a lot of us were dozing in the back as the lights had started to come out again. So we all bundled out for more sky gazing and photos.
The added touches of the telescope to view the stars supported by the knowledgeable discussion was great while waiting for the lights to show and I really like the photos that are taken of you and shared at no cost to really help you remember the experience. Much better than a blurry selfie.
In conclusion the tour from Happy World was the most expensive tour I went on in the week but it was by far the best. I cannot recommend the experience more and although the other tours are good in their own way my recommendation would be to book this tour and probably on your first night so you have the chance to try again if the lights don't show.
I would like to thank the team, as this was absolutely a highlight of my holiday and a lifelong memory.

1  Thank Snappy78
Anitahaf, Owner at Happyworld, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2018

You are right, if people don't see lights on our tour they can join our tour again for free as many times as needed to see the lights, within 2 years. We have a 90% sighting rate so most people see them on the first try, like yourself :-) I want to agree that we are not the cheapest, we are mid level price for our tour size. There are fortunately many different budget options for Northern Lights tours, and your other reviews describe them well. Thank you so so much for joining our tour, and for this wonderful and thorough review. Iceland misses you! :-)

Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

I booked their northern lights tour and they took us out on a very cloudy day because they’re a small company who wants to keep your money like “Happy”world. You have no choice because there is a 24 hour cancellation and the weather changes so often that you’re not able to cancel if the weather gets grim and if the tour is scheduled to go out. This was truly disheartening because I felt they kept our money knowing we wouldn’t see the lights so they can run a profit. It’s a very expensive tour and it’s a small company so they need the revenue so they don’t cancel unless it’s pouring. You’re better off with a bigger, more reputable company. They also claim and advertise to do a lights show and they didn’t do it. Their donuts were stale so that didn’t help. Two stars cause I liked our tour guide however he said we could get a refund cause we didn’t see the lights. He should know what their return policy is and not say that to the group. I knew that once they take you out, you have no choice and cannot get refund. Also our tour guide HIMSELF said when he picked us up that while it looks cloudy other groups have cancelled and is hopeful we’d see the lights. Huh? Goes to show you. They RIP you off. I don’t care that we didn’t see the lights with them; I care that they took us out- KNOWING it was cloudy and NOT likely to see the lights so they take your money. My friend was on the website that you can check to see cloud coverage. My advice - you can see the lights on your own like we did in Vik. Don’t waste your money on this dishonest company.

Date of experience: March 2017
5  Thank giuliab316
Reviewed December 14, 2017

This tour was absolutely amazing! Saw an awesome show with, white,green and even red lights! Also spotted a shooting star! Best of all they take your pictures for you so you don't have to invest in a high-tech camera! Definitely worth the money! If anyone coming to Iceland to see the Northern Lights then best bet is with them!

Date of experience: December 2017

Oh, you are so lucky to have seen the rare red Northern Lights! Thank you so much for this lovely review :-)

Reviewed December 12, 2017

For having only 3 full days in Iceland, deciding to go in December, we wanted to make sure we saw the northern lights! After driving out on our own first two nights with no luck and pretty bummed, we decided we needed to see them the right way, and decided to book this tour based on reviews. BEST NIGHT ever and best decision we could have made. Not only were the skies clear for us, but as soon as we got to the spot, the lights showed immediately and not only were stunning, but with our small group, the whole night felt intimate and fun. Everyone committed to the experience and having the best guides made it even sweeter. Þröstur and Gummie were awesome! In the beginning while everyone's getting adjusted, Þröstur was extremely knowledgeable about the stars and stargazing for us was filled with views through a telescope, constellation spottings along with the history and stories that go behind them. They set up the camera for us and took the most perfect pictures for everyone!!! They were never impatient to take multiple for any group, and let us make the experience our own. Getting the pictures back the next day, I couldn't believe how clear and perfect they looked. Since the pictures come with the tour, we all were excited to keep taking them and enjoy every minute. We even received a time lapse video with the pictures as well - such a bonus!! Bucket list item checked :) special thanks to our guides for being so awesome, personable and fun!! They made sure everyone had a blast. Highly recommend!!!

Date of experience: December 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. Always warms our hearts when our guests have such a good experience with us :-) You are so right, Þröstur and Gummi are awesome! :-)

Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

When booking with Happyworld, you must request Thruster as your guide. His knowledge, humor, commitment and passion for the Northern Lights and ensuring every client has the best possible experience is inspiring. We stayed well past the contracted time (midnight) because the lights were a little late on our evening, and we ended up having an experience of a lifetime. The lights can be temperamental, so, you want to make sure you are with someone who will do whatever it takes to make the most of this bucket lister.

1  Thank Lee S
Anitahaf, Owner at Happyworld, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2017

Thank you ever so much for writing this lovely review! We love that you had such a positive experience with us. Happy days :-)