“Two visits, five nights”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is a five star hotel by my standards. Excellent desk, restaurant, bar and rooms. While most everything is expensive here and in Iceland as a whole, there is a tiny deli in the lobby where one may find sandwiches, beverages, other snacks and small wines. The hotel offers free passes for public buses that stop in front of the hotel and run between there and downtown on a half hourly schedule.

Room Tip: The better side faces the ocean and bay, rather than inland.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Stayed 7 nights July 15-21 with AAA tour group. Rooms clean, quite adequate, no problems, modern decor. Full buffet breakfast included in tour package - had about anything you could want. Only had dinner in hotel 1 night with the group in special dining room so can't vouch for the menu, etc. Did have a sandwich at lobby bar one day. Nice spa area though no indoor pool. Other pool locations around the city if you ask. Nice travel agency and gift shop inside the hotel Some restaurants within walking distance but hotel not close to downtown, but quiet. We were on 8th floor of 9. Not a lot of TV stations, but this was Iceland and not really a lot of time for watching TV! Bathtubs are deep and husband had to help me get out due to some physical problems but there was a grab bar too.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gold3493
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

Nice new hotel, rooms clean, and comfortable.

Breakfast buffet was acceptable.

Location was a few minutes taxi ride from the center of town, but if you have kids its walking distance from the thermal pools.

Annoying things:
For a country famous for the midnight sun they had no real blackout cutains. If you want a good night sleep bring those airplanes eye masks.

They have a fresh sandwich snack type counter in the lobby, nice idea but if you have to pay at the reception desk. So if you grab a tuna sanwhich just as a tour bus arrives expect to wait standing 30 mins to hand over the cash for it, I even went to the bar, shops etc to pay but no luck in the end I just grabbed what I wanted and walked out, paid for it when I returned.

Great thing:

Vox (sp?) restaurant I just assumed it was just another run of mill joint, but what a dinner treat lovely food and staff. You must try the Iclandic horse steak, sounds gross but what an eye opener.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Based on previous Tripadvisor reviews of hotels in Reykjavik, I had low expectations. I had seen where the Nordica had a 5 star rating. Not in this world. We were in an Executive Plus club room. This is the second highest level of accomodation at the hotel. It wouldn't qualify as an entry level room in a true 5 star hotel. About 30 square meters with a comfortable bed and nice bath. Little seating space-----two chairs that are essentially floor level. Hard to get in to, and very difficult to get out of. I don't know how anyone with physical issues could use them.
Aside from the room, the hotel has some very nice features. The staff are very competent and helpful. Guests are provided with a free bus pass, which is great for getting around. Note, you will need a bus or cab to get around, as the hotel is a fairly long walk from downtown----especially in bad weather. The bus stops right at the hotel---very convenient.
The club level provides breakfast, snacks and evening canapes and cocktails. The breakfast is mediocre. The canapes and cocktails, very good. Variety and quantity are fine. Changed every night. You can easily skip dinner if you choose.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerry k
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I stayed at the Hilton July 28th to Aug 2nd when doing a small visit to Iceland.

The Hilton is, well, a Hilton. There was no real surprises staying here, which was what I was looking for. Clean, modern, and a decent home base to get a flavour of the country. As this was my first visit to Iceland, and I was travelling solo,I was looking for something which I could rely on and not have to worry about.

The hotel itself is in what I would call a slightly commercial/business area, about 10 - 15 minute walk from the edge of the touristy downtown core. If you do not want to walk, there are city bus stops both on the street in front of, and behind the hotel. A REALLY nice perk was that they were loaning out bus passes, which made it very easy to see the city. The buses even go a bit of of town. I used the "city" bus to visit the mountain which is just above the city (30-45 minute away, Esja around a 1000 meter mountain with trails).

My room was a tad on the small size (say 12"x25"), but modern and clean. Blond wooden floors, simple wall coverings, Scandinavian furniture, etc.

The bathroom was quite small, but decent water presure.

The hotel does have WIFI. They were testing out "what they called Trial" WIFI which was free for 24 hours. It was fairly fast and no issues connecting. Once my WIFI timed out, I reapplied for the free WIFI and it worked again. I'm not sure if it will always be this way.

For those travelling, the hotel also has an Activity centre where you can arrange for tours, etc. I booked some of the standard tours this way, which made it easy. Not that it would have been that hard to walk into town to any of the information booths. Rather expensive. I suspect they may charge a small premium for the service.

I did not eat at the hotels restaurant, however I did look at the menu. It seemed to be quite high end, interesting dishes (Horse anyone?), and a correspondingly high end price. I chose to eat out, grabbing snacks from the small market just up the hill. One night I ate at a Mexican place, also just up the street (very similar to a Chipotle Mexican grill type place). There are a few restaurants around the area, but not a lot. Most are downtown.

As for price, I'm not sure. I booked through Hotwire and had a decent deal. But, I suspect the standard price would be quite high. Then again, so is everything in Reykjavik.

So, overall, a good place to stay if you are looking for something known. If you are looking for something more Icelandic, you may wish for a local place. If you want to be in the core of the town, again, the Hilton might not be your best choice. Finally, if you are driving a lot and are only using the hotel as a home base (as I did), the Hilton is a good home base for points East and West as it has good highway access.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water and mountains have a nicer view (front of the building)
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Larrabee
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

A great hotel with awesome service! The rooms are nice, spacious, wooden floors, and deep tubs for those soaking baths!
Do not forget a power transformer for charging and utilizing your electronics!!
The view from the hotel is great as well!!
They have transportation to downtown on a regular basis, a great location to start your trip!

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 9, 2014

It's a typical Hilton hotel... it has the amenities one would expect from a big hotel. The room was of a good size and very comfortable. The hotel is not located in the city center though. We pickedthis hotel because this was our last stop/night after doing a road trip to other parts of Iceland. We arrived in the evening and the hotel has a parking lot for our rental car. The hotel has a shuttle to and from the city center, and also to and from the airport. Our plan was to drive ourselves and return our rental car, had the rental car company drop us off in the city center, and then catch the hotel shuttle from the city center back to the hotel. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and they explained things to us (like where's the hotel shuttle stop in the city center) very clearly. When we returned to the hotel, we picked up the luggage that we stored with the front desk staff and wait for the hotel shuttle to take us to the airport. Just be sure to let the hotel staff know in advance that you'll need a ride to the airport and they'll explain everything.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple