“A very comfortable stay”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Merseyside
“A very comfortable stay”
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I stay at the Nordica on business for 3 nights recently at found the hotel very comfortable.

There is an easy transfer from the airport for around £10 (ticket purchased in arrivals foyer) that drops you directly to the door of the hotel.

Public areas are very modern with a nordic minimalist feeling to them. Standard bedrooms are well appointed whilst not as modern as the public areas.

Breakfast was very good with a wide variety of items on offer, and whilst I didn't take dinner in the Restaurant I believe that the food is excellent.

Nightlife is a taxi ride away but the main area offers a good variety of trendy bars, such as B5, plus some interesting restaurants too.

Iceland is expensive for food and beverage but is a great place to experience. The Blue Lagoon is worth a look - although is a little more commericalised than I first though!

Enjoy!!!

• Liked — Modern, clean and efficient
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Addersiniho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (929)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 2, 2008

The Nordica is a nice design oriented hotel, however as others have mentioned, it is on the outskirts of town. They do offer a shuttle service at designated times, or you can walk for a good 20 minutes.

A good thing to know is that the FlyBus does drop off and pick up at the hotel, so you don't have to walk from the bus terminal if you decide to take the bus from the airport. You can also schedule excursions through a tourist office inside the hotel or book a car with Sixt, which is also located there.

Vox restaurant, which is located at the hotel has a nice mid-afternoon tea, but we were too busy in the city for that experience.

You can get a good rate if you book in advance using hotels.com or a similar booking website. The price steadily increases as you approach your travel dates.

• Liked — simplicity
  • Disliked — having to pay for internet, a bit far from city center
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank duellema
Chicago
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I live in Chicago so I am used to walking to places and didn’t mind this location that is not right downtown, if you are not used to walking places this might seem like more of a hassle, but it is a 15 or 20 minute walk to downtown from here, you can walk straight down the street (which is busy but has plenty of sidewalk space) or walk down past the harbor which is pretty and just a bit longer. The one disappointment is the hotel’s shuttle service it just is not offered at enough times to really be useful. But if you book tours they pick up and drop off right in front which is really great. The rooms are large and the views are really great, plus there is a market just behind the hotel and some quick cheaper food options right by the hotel like a Pizza Hut which is nice after long days. The Vox restaurant in the hotel is truly amazing, very expensive but if you are already in Iceland you know that everything is pretty much expensive, we thought it was worth the treat of experiencing the chefs tasting menu. I would absolutely stay here again, and you should really see more than just downtown Reykjavik to really experience Iceland.

The Haunted Iceland tour by Jonas is really well put together and has lots of information and background stories, I have done a bunch of these all over the world and he has put the most into making this a truly unique experience. Other things not to miss, the Golden Circle Tour, Akureyi, the Blue Lagoon, Thrir Frakkar restaurant at Baldursgata 14.

• Liked — Clean, large, and market on site and safe
  • Disliked — a bit out of downtown
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluestarbutterfly
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights. The room had a good view over the sea but there is a corporate feel over the hotel. The breakfast was ok. The location is a bit out of town but if you have a car you can easily get into the city in five minutes and there is plenty of parking spaces. I did not find that much to see in Reykjavik but it is a good base to do daytrips to for example Gullfoss and Geysir.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed August 23, 2008

This hotel is one of the best hotels - outside of USA - that I have stayed at! The absolute only potential downside is that the hotel is a quick cab ride or long walk from the city center - but this was worth it to stay at such a modern, full service hotel in the center of a quirky city (we looked forward to retiring for the night in the comfort of the Hilton). Hotel does have complimentary shuttle to city center several times per day.

Rooms are new, clean, spacious - with wood floors, comfortable bed/bedding, and spacious bathrooms with powerful shower & plenty of counter space.

Lobby is large with lots of seating, plenty of room to relax and stretch out when waiting for your tour bus or to read a book. Front desk staff is very helpful and friendly.

Breakfast in the hotel restaurant is a must - awesome array of hot and cold food and great way to fuel up for a day of sightseeing, especially if you want to skip lunch (which we mostly did because we were not crazy about Icelandic cuisine).

The lobby bar is hip and has happy hour every day, plus great menu of sandwiches & burgers. Open very late and has plenty of seating for everyone. Bar staff are friendly and helpful, but service is slow, you have to waive servers down (as is the case in many European cities).

Tour buses pick up & drop off direct to Hilton. There is a tour desk onsite to book all the excursions - there are brochures and tons of choices, however know what you want to do because the people that work at this tour desk are not helpful at all - they basically answer your questions and book whatever tour you say (zero advice or help in making selections). Ask about the Blue Lagoon excursion available on way to airport at the end of your trip (you get to see Reykjavik's biggest attraction & get dropped off at the airport - is efficients & essentially saves additional fare to the airport).

There is a reknowned spa at the hotel as well (but we didn't use it).

• Liked — Room cleanliness/size, bar, breakfast, services / conveniences.
  • Disliked — Tour desk wasn't helpful, location is technically out of city center.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel in the beginning of August. I arrived very late from the airport via flybus. For reasons I don't understand, they made the entire plane (Icelandair coming from Boston) go through security immediately after getting off the plane in Reykjavik. It made no sense for those of us who were staying in the city and not continuing on to Europe. Then, they made the whole plane go through immigration, even those people not staying in the city but continuing on. Seemed very silly and inefficient to me, can you imagine if everyone just connecting through Heathrow in London had to go through immigration before continuing on to their final destination? And why go through security again AFTER you land? Anyways, if you are coming in from the U.S., be prepared for this, it took a very long time.
Checkin at the hotel was easy as there was no one around at 2:00 in the morning. My room was very small but nice with wood floors and very clean. However, my TV did not work. I informed the lady at the desk about this the next morning before I left for the day and she said someone would be up immediately to fix it. When I returned later that evening it was still broken, I dont think anyone had bothered to come. I went back down and it was the same lady from the morning at the desk, and asked again about the tv, she said someone would come up in a few minutes and to go wait for them in my room. After waiting almost an hour wiht no one showing up, I went back down to the desk again. There was a different girl there now, who offered to come up to my room with me and try to figure out what was wrong. The 2 of us ended up fixing it together, but I was annoyed by the lack of service the first time around with the other inept staff member.
My room included breakfast which was pretty good with a large selection. As others have mentioned, the hotel is a good distance from downtown, and the walk down Laugevegar into town is though a busy noisy street for the first half of the walk until you get closer to town. There is a hotel shuttle that runs 5 times per day, but not at very convenient times. It also is small and if its full, you are out of luck. If you want to return to the hotel between noon and 6pm you are out of luck.
Others have mentioned 10-15 minute walk, I guess I must be a slow walker because it took me 25-30 minutes each way to walk there. Taxis are extremely expensive. You can also walk along the shoreline, its a little longer but a MUCH nicer walk along a pathway not directly next to a busy road.
I took several excursions, with Iceland Excursions and Reykjavik Excursions. If you are trying to decide between the 2, I liked IE much better. Nicer buses, better guides, and very prompt and on time. RE has a desk in the hotel, but I would still go with IE over them. The hotel is good in this respect in that you often get dropped off first at the end of the tours with both companies due to the hotels location outside the city.
It was nice being able to check in for my departing flight to London inside the hotel lobby, however please be aware this service is only available for flights going to Europe. If you are going to the US you cannot use this service and must wait until you get to the airport to check in.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are going to take a lot of tours out of the city and you can get a good rate on the room including breakfast. However, if you want to go into town a lot, its really not that close, and I would stay somewhere in town. I think next time I go back to Iceland, I will stay nearer to town.

• Liked — Being dropped off first at end of the tours
  • Disliked — Unknowledgeable staff, slow customer service, long unattractive walk into town
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Qino2
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed in the Nordica for three nights in mid-July. I picked the Hilton as the reviews on TA are generally favourable and the price per night was very reasonable.
We enjoyed our stay here as the rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel is well-situated as you can see the mountains in the distance from the front rooms.
The hotel is about ten to fifteen minutes from the centre of Reykjavik but its a straight walk into town and the hotel does seem to be bigger than most of the central hotels.

We were greeted cordially when we arrived. the clerk had our reservation and told us where our room was.
when we went up to find it, we realised that there was no room with that number.
I went back to the clerk who apologised and gave me the correct room number.
The room was lovely when we entered it but it was a double room and not the twin as requested.
I went back to the front desk. the clerk checked my booking and said that a double was requested.
I had my printout fron the Hilton site which confirmed a twin room
He sorted it out quickly and we were given a twin room looking out at Mount esja.
The room was a decent size and very comfortable.The bathroom was very clean and the shower had great pressure.

we booked our tours through the hotel tour desk.
we were picked up each day at the hotel and dropped back at the end of each tour. Actually staying in the Hilton is convenient as it was always the first hotel to get Pick-up and also the first drop-off point.

Breakfast was not included in our room price but we tried it out one morning. The selection is fairly extensive and good value as you could fill up for the day.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are staying in Reykjavik for a few days. Its close to the action but not in a noisy area if you are staying in reykjavik for the weekend.

• Liked — Spacious Clean Bedrooms
  • Disliked — Nothing really but its a little out of town if you like to be in the cemnter of things.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends