“Executive Floor Made It Worth It”

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Florida, Massachusetts
“Executive Floor Made It Worth It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Nordica for 2 nights mid May.

Flybus seemed to take forever to get there. I think it was 2 hours.

I am Hilton Honors Gold member and had high hopes we could have an early check in. However, our hopes were dashed when we were told people had not checked out yet and they needed to clean the rooms. We stored our luggage at the reception desk and went into town for shopping and lunch. We returned to the hotel around 2:30 pm and the room was ready. We were automatically upgraded to the executive floor right next door to the lounge. We had great views of the mountains and water.

The decor of the rooms is a little gloomy. My mother was allergic to the bedspread and kept sneezing. The Hilton was fine but next time I will probably book one of the newer hotels downtown to be closer to the restaurants. We were successful in taking the shuttle 3 times during our 2 night stay so it does go often enough.

What made the HIlton so worthwhile was the Executive Lounge. Breakfast was almost exactly the same as what is served downstairs in the restaurant (we went to took) and the snacks they put out were fantastic. From sushi to little desserts we were very happy. We had dinner in the Lounge the first night since we were still tired from our flight. Plenty of items to choose from plus beer and wine.

If I was only going to book a regular room without access to lounge I don't think it is worth it. The restaurant charges $26 USD for breakfast. I hope I have that figure right. A lot of people were at the front desk complaining.

The free Interent on my iPad and iPod Touch worked great. They also had two terminals in the front of the hotel that you can use. They were timed so if you were in the middle of something you needed to save it or finish so you did not lose your work. There were no bar stools at the free Internet terminals. Probably to discourage people from spending too much time there.

Overall the Hilton was nice due to the Lounge (the only reason I am giving it 4 stars) but I felt it was lacking in other high end qualities.

Room Tip: We had a fantastic lunch at Fiskgelagid. It was one of the best meals I have ever had!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Steph2727

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Although not as centrally located as some other properties in Reykjavik, the Nordica is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are clean, modern, and well laid out, and the staff is helpful and friendly. The restaurant is also terrific--the lunch buffet was a real treat. The only things we didn't like about the hotel are: 1) wifi costs about $12 a day, which is a little annoying, and 2) the shuttle into the center of Reykjavik runs very infrequently and seems geared towards business travelers rather than tourists. But other than these small issues, this hotel is terrific, and it's near to a number of decent restaurants and the terrific Cafe Konditori Copenhagen. It's also on several major public bus routes, making the shuttle's infrequency less of an issue.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Yes, it's not in the most convenient of locations, but even in the snow in march we walked into the centre once or twice. Other times, we had no problem getting a taxi or using the hotel shuttle bus.

The hotel is lovely and modern, with large rooms and good food. We got a great room with a view of the sea. Couldn't have asked for more. Brilliant service and friendly staff. Better than some 5* hotels. It would be perfect with the addition of a swimming pool, but there is a public pool at a very reasonable price within 10 minutes walk.

Good value all round great hotel in a fairly expensive but amazing country. The hotel also contained an office where you could book trips around the country and we conveniently got picked up from reception for any in the Reykjavik area. Would love to return to Iceland and this hotel

• Stayed March 2012
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We got into this hotel around 1am. Check in was smooth. We were greeted to our room by a breathtaking view. I was exhausted but had to stay up to take it all in. Everything was comfortable and clean. The executive lounge had a decent breakfast and once again a beautiful view. It is far from the main attractions. They have a limited shuttle service.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the water- beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at this property about 5 or 6 years ago before it was acquired by Hilton. It was nice then, but following their recent top-to-bottom renovation, it was truly stellar. The staff was on their game, the rooms were fantastic, food was amazing. I can't attribute it to the hotel, but it can be a bit disconcerting to try to sleep when it's as bright as noon outside all night long, but that's Iceland for you. We were so impressed that we've already decided to stay here again next Summer on another visit to Reykjavik.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Old Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

While not exactly downtown, they offer a shuttle bus or take a taxi. Vox restaurant offers a super buffet breakfast and good dinners. Even close by neighborhood restaurants are okay. Good views on the North side.

Room Tip: Ask for room on floors five or above facing water
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Providence, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

The good news is that I was able to get into my room after my early morning arrival -- clean, with a view of a parking lot, very comfortable. I had booked two nights, one on my own and one via a tour -- that was hard for the staff to figure out. Although I got to stay in the same room, my room keys stopped working after day one's checkout time. Later I waited a long time for a free shuttle to downtown only to discover that their shuttle is not a Hilton vehicle -- guests beware and stay alert on this one; it had come and gone while I was waiting in the lobby. After my bus tour, another night at the Nordica got me a room overlooking the harbor, which was very nice. Overall, very comfortable and a good place to stay in Reykjavik. Excellent full breakfast buffet included!

Room Tip: Rooms on street side have much better views. Free Internet only in the lobby area.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo