“Traditional Icelandic meal”

Ranked #102 of 604 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Lækjarbrekka is an Icelandic Bistro located in the heart of the city center of Reykjavík. Scandinavian cuisine is the specialty of this old historical restaurant who has been serving Icelanders since 1981. We strive to create delicious meals from locally sourced ingredients while providing first-class service. The menu includes our legendary fish and chips, Icelandic lobster soup, fresh catch of the day, mountain lamb and much more. Don't forget to ask for our bar snack taster menu if you want a real historical taste of Iceland as it includes fermented shark, dry fish and smoked lamb flakes. The house is rich of history and dates all the way back to 1834. It was originally the first bakery in Iceland with living quarters upstairs. So if you are looking for an authentic place to dine in Reykjavík then we welcome you. Small groups can also book our presidential room for max 10 persons. We also welcome large groups counting up to 100 persons in our fully equipped banquet halls.
Reviewed April 11, 2019 via mobile

After looking online for places to eat I came across this small restaurant. My partner was eager to try the more traditional Icelandic dishes so we booked here in advance (I’d recommend doing so as it gets busy around 7:30). We had the Icelandic platter to share where we tried the delicacies like minkie whale, dung smoke salmon, seaweed and smoked lamb. Even though they recommend on the menu ordering another 2-3 dishes each we only had another one each and were quite full after that. We ordered the more expensive dishes, seafood pan and pulled lamb which was fantastic! We then tried the desert, the brownie, which again was presented so well and created with such care it really was a lovely meal!

The staff are so friendly and lovely and the food is amazing ( not overall expensive compared to usual prices - but worth it for a treat out).

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank World-Travel-Explor
Write a reviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed April 9, 2019

Selected because of the view, location & warm interior decor, then delightfully surprised by the excellent food selection and flavors, accompanying drinks all served by delightful staff. We didn't book, but judging by the clientele, probably should have done, it was busy, really enjoyed this place, if you want a really good meal, tranquil atmosphere & a bit of refinement, try here.

Reviewed April 2, 2019 via mobile

This quaint little house has delicious seafood as well as other tasty dishes. They have a great cocktail and wine list, and serve classic beverages like Brennivin Schnapps. The tables are fitted with a candle for a lovely ambiance and the windows are adorned with white lights for the evenings — making it a great dinner spot.

The bread appetizer is nice and pillowy, and comes with a tapenade, butter, and lovely volcanic salt. While horse isn’t widely eaten in Iceland, the Panfried Horse with mushroom purée, melt-in-your-mouth rösti potato, and port sauce is an amazing dish! But you can’t go wrong with any of their seafood dishes.

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

This is my second visit to this Laekjarbrekka restaurant and I love the cozy environment and great ambience.

This time I ordered the Iceland Complete, which is a gourmet set of 5 courses. The set includes a Icelandic Platter, Seafood Soup, Light Salted Cod, Leg of Mutton and Twisted Doughnut dessert.

Wow, simply all the delicacies of Iceland is there as the name suggests.

For the Icelandic Platter, I love the Minke Whale meat most, with the taste and texture very similar to mutton. Meat was tender. The fermented shark came with Tio strong a smell like ammonia, which made me choked on the first time, the strong aroma came to my nose. The meat of the shark was rather chewy, though I would not know how to appreciate it. Double smoked lamb meat is very crispy, almost like the bacon meat. Included in the Platter are dung smoked salmon, wind dried cod, and seaweed crisp.

Very tasty seafood soup with mussels, cod and fresh shrimps. Enjoyed the tender Leg of Mutton as it was juicy too.

Salted cod was fresh but I didn't like the tomato sauce, which tasted like those from the canned purée.

It was a big meal for me, and I had to try finish up my Twisted Doughnut, in the caramel dip. Anyone with a sweet tooth will love this!

Do try to eat here as the restaurant is housed in a historical mansion, right at the end of the Laugavegur shopping street. Nearby is the Tourist Information office, and right on the other side of the road is the famous Hard Rock Cafe.

Reviewed March 28, 2019

The serving portions are deliberately smaller, as they encourage you to sample one or more offerings at your meal. My wife enjoyed the mussels, while I took a chance on the horse. I had read about it as an common Icelandic food. Truthfully, if you had told me it was London Broil, I would have believed you. It was tender and tasty. Very nice atmosphere in a smaller setting.