“Exceptional”
Review of Laekjarbrekka

Laekjarbrekka
Ranked #28 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, European, Soups, Scandinavian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The housing Laekjarbrekka was built as a dwelling in 1834, by the influential Danish ship owner and merchant P.C Knutzon. Hel also build a bakery and a turf house in the same lot and brought the Danish baker T.D Bernhöft to Iceland to practice his trade here. Bernhöft, who was for a long time the only baker in Reykjavík, bought the houses in 1845. The Bernhöft family continued in the baking business at this location for two generations, building a retail shop onto the dwelling house in 1855. This addition is today the part of the restaurant facing the main street. The building was used as a dwelling until 1961, and a small shop was there until the time of reconstruction began in 1980. By then, the house had fallen into disrepair, and had been neglected for a long time. Its future had been uncertain until 1979, when it and several other houses in the same block were declared protected buildings. During reconstruction, every attempt was made to preserve the original appearance. It is therefore with great pleasure to invite you to dine in this beautifully restored house, which has an eventful 180-year history behind it.
Reykjavik, Iceland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exceptional”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I went with my family to celebrate my mother's birthday and we were all over the moon. The service was first-class as was the food. Very relaxed atmosphere in a lovely wooden building.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Nice Dinner but service was slower than other places”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was my last Icelandic meal before coming home and I ordered a 3-course set menu.
Their staff were all dressed in crisp former attire and the decor inside is Icelandic seaside - nice.

Started with a local light beer, then bread and soup (Cream of langoustine soup) were served, very flavorful, followed by main dish, lamb with vegetables, then ice cream & chocolate cake dessert. I asked for a steak knife (hoping for a bigger/sharper one) but the waiter with puzzled look brought me a same kind of knife. I guess they don't use a steak knife there.

The building/house has some interesting history to it and they did a great job restoring and keeping it up. I wish Their menu didn't include Whales and Puffins...
Service was a bit slow, but who is in a hurry...
Overall I enjoyed my meal and the atomosphere.

Munich, Germany
“Great place to try Icelandic specialties!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We had the Icelandic Feast and the Seafood Feast (4-course and 3-course menu) with all kinds of specialites we wanted to try. The starter included whale, puffin, fermented shark (be careful...) and dried fish. Main courses and desserts were fantastic!

Lund, Sweden
“Great place”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I visited this restaurant twice in 2006 and now came back. Same excellent food as then, tried the mussels this time which I can recommend strongly. And was, to my astonishment, recognized by the waiter after eight years!

Visited July 2014
London
“Would go back for the langoustine soup alone!”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

It's lucky we had booked as the restaurant was full (of tourists) as we arrived. A rather cold welcome from the front house waiter but the waitress afterwards gave us a very good service throughout the meal. This is meant to be a traditional restaurant and the attire of the staff and decor are designed to make you feel in a traditional icelandic restaurant. I must say I was a little skeptical and thought this was going to be another tourist trap but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. We opted for the set 4 course menu, including to start with a platter of 'traditional' food from the past: thin slice of whale meat, puffin, fermented shark and the local delicacy of dry fish which is the only thing on the plate that Icelandic people still eat as a snack. It was nicely done and a bit of fun if you don't then come out thinking that this is what people eat all the time. The real gem was in fact the delicious, well-balanced but simple langoustine soup that came after that. The lamb was equally good, very flavorsome and tender, cooked to perfection. They must dish out quite a lot of plates but I was impressed by the consistency and quality of the ingredients. The pudding was a real let down, some bland solid white chocolate mousse on a rather nice biscuit base served with a very sweet blueberry ice-cream. Throughout this trip in Iceland, puddings have been rather disappointing, maybe not part of their culinary traditions. I think this turned out to be our most expensive meal in the country, 7000 kr per person and my husband went for the menu with matching wine, very expensive. I would go back and have double portion of the langoustine soup! Enjoy.