“Disappointing experience”

Ranked #45 of 529 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The housing Laekjarbrekka was built as a dwelling in 1834, by the influential Danish ship owner and merchant P.C Knutzon. Hel also build a bakery and a turf house in the same lot and brought the Danish baker T.D Bernhöft to Iceland to practice his trade here. Bernhöft, who was for a long time the only baker in Reykjavík, bought the houses in 1845. The Bernhöft family continued in the baking business at this location for two generations, building a retail shop onto the dwelling house in 1855. This addition is today the part of the restaurant facing the main street. The building was used as a dwelling until 1961, and a small shop was there until the time of reconstruction began in 1980. By then, the house had fallen into disrepair, and had been neglected for a long time. Its future had been uncertain until 1979, when it and several other houses in the same block were declared protected buildings. During reconstruction, every attempt was made to preserve the original appearance. It is therefore with great pleasure to invite you to dine in this beautifully restored house, which has an eventful 180-year history behind it.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I got this place recommended and read the reviews online, but the experience were not up to par. I tried the lamb, and had really high expectations, but it was a very strange dish with salad on the side and dry-ish potatoes. The lamb it self was ok though, but way overpriced for what you get. Service was so-so, they were polite and attentive, but the atmosphere could have been so much more as it's a very sweet and cozy place.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hotel recommended this restaurant, great service and an old charm atmosphere. We ordered the Icelandic Feast. Lovely food with a lamb dish that was just superb. Well worth the price at £50 per head which included two bottles of wine.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I have just left Laekjarbrekka (8/12/13 @ 2015) and what an experience. I had the Icelandic Feast and she had the Seafoodfood Feast, both with the served wine. Well the taste was amazing with all the meats and fish that just melted in our mouths, the only down side was the Bordeaux Recolte, just too strong for the lamb, probably better with venison. Was it worth it, I don't know, better palates than mine could say. This was the first time we had ever spent £140 on a meal but we enjoyed the meal immensely, some would say that's all that counts, maybe, but I would hate to think that I had been ripped off. Check out their menu to see what we had and by the way, fermented shark is an acquired taste. I liked it and Suzie is in two minds.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I walked by the restaurant on one of my nights staying in Reykjavik and noticed on their menu board that they had alot of authentic Icelandic dishes including some things I hadn't tried yet like fermented shark, puffin, minke whale and horse tenderloin.

I went inside and was warmly greeted by the host/manager Hreinn.

I started with their special appetizer taster menu. Basically you get smaller versions of all their appetizers for 1890 kronas (about $15). The plate consisted of smoked puffin, minke whale, wind dried fish, and the infamous fermented shark.

Yes, the fermented shark lived up to it's infamous billing (do a Google search) but I also knew that it was one of those "must dos" when in Iceland. Let's just say my nasal passages were cleared and my eyes were still watering after 10 minutes.

For my main course I had another Icelandic specialty - Grilled Horse Tenderloin (5600 krona, about $50). It came out exactly the same as a steak. Cooked medium rare and so tender to the touch. It didn't taste gamey at all and was complimented well by the bacon pomme anne, shallot confit, and pepper cream sauce.

Through it all I was well looked after by my server Karen and also by Hreinn as he entertained me with his stories.

I left with a handshake and was on my way into the cold winter Icelandic night.

The next night I knew where I was headed for dinner - back to Lækjarbrekka. I was greeted by Hreinn's smiling face and I knew immediately I had made the right decision.

He sat me at the best table right by the window and I ordered the 5 course Christmas tasting menu they were offering.

While I was waiting for my meal to begin Hreinn was telling me about his cocktailing prowess as he had won an award last year as the top cocktailer in all of Iceland. He then had an opportunity to compete at the world championships in Beijing, China where he placed third in his category.

So, of course, how could I say no when he offered to make a cocktail for me while I waited for my meal.

He whipped up a nice fruity martini made from Bacardi rum, peach schnapps, raspberry sourpuss, cranberry juice and flower water. Oh my God it was so good. So smooth and it drank just like juice - just the kind of drink I like even if they are a little dangerous because of just how easy they go down.

My first course was a selection of herring done three ways: herring with tomato and date, smoked herring with pickled pearl onion and sour cream, and honey and grain mustard herring.

Soon after my second course arrived - a nice light, frothy wild mushroom soup topped with a truffle cream. It simply melt in my mouth and you can pretty much put truffle on anything and it will taste amazing

My final appetizer was Arctic Char ballontine which was a tartar with cauliflower foam and dill.

For the main course I was served duck done two ways: a breast and confit. It was complimented with a maple syrup and cinnamon potato, marinated apricots, a grand marnier sauce and ginger bread.

Oh. My. God.

So good!

Unlike the other night I had room for dessert. I also asked Hreinn to whip up a nice dessert cocktail to compliment it.

He came through once again with flying colors as he served me the perfect cocktail - a light, frothy mix of white cacao, grand marnier and white creme de menthe.

It went perfectly with my dessert: a chocolate brownie with cappuccino ice cream and vanilla glazed strawberries.

Simply put - a perfect dinner here in Iceland.

Thanks again!
Todd

findingtodd dot com

Reviewed December 4, 2013

ow interesting to read from the previous reviewer that soup of the day is complimentary with main course. Such a well kept secret at this establishment.....The food was excellent, and for Iceland, where restaurants are obscenely expensive compared to other parts of the world, quite reasonably priced. The quality of service, however, left a lot to be desired. Rather slow and and the waiters were the sourpuss type, and appeared to be quite filled with their own importance. It was made quite clear to us, non-verbally of course, that they were doing us a huge favour in waiting on us. At the end of the meal I ordered a black coffee, and I tried to make it clear to the waiter that I did not want an espresso, but what the rest of Europe knows (and other parts of Iceland know), as a Coffee Americano. He did not seem to understand what I was talking about. We have been in Iceland for 10 days and I have had no trouble getting this particular brew in the smallest country town. It became more difficult the more I explained so we left coffeeless. Trying to make oneself understood in foreign countries is not easy and a little more friendliness, understanding and kindness on the part of this particular waiter would have been a big difference to my embarrassment at not being able to make myself understood. Just because I am clearly a tourist and therefore unlikely to be a regular customer did not entitle the staff to be so condescending. This experience has surprised me as we have found Icelanders to be unfailingly friendly, kind and helpful. Despite the undeniable quality of the food, we will not be returning.