“Quality of the Fish is Excellent”
Review of Laekjarbrekka

Laekjarbrekka
Ranked #28 of 483 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The housing Laekjarbrekka was built as a dwelling in 1834, by the influential Danish ship owner and merchant P.C Knutzon. Hel also build a bakery and a turf house in the same lot and brought the Danish baker T.D Bernhöft to Iceland to practice his trade here. Bernhöft, who was for a long time the only baker in Reykjavík, bought the houses in 1845. The Bernhöft family continued in the baking business at this location for two generations, building a retail shop onto the dwelling house in 1855. This addition is today the part of the restaurant facing the main street. The building was used as a dwelling until 1961, and a small shop was there until the time of reconstruction began in 1980. By then, the house had fallen into disrepair, and had been neglected for a long time. Its future had been uncertain until 1979, when it and several other houses in the same block were declared protected buildings. During reconstruction, every attempt was made to preserve the original appearance. It is therefore with great pleasure to invite you to dine in this beautifully restored house, which has an eventful 180-year history behind it.
White Plains, New York
“Quality of the Fish is Excellent”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I had Arctic Char, which is one of my favorite fish. It was very simply prepared and so, so delicious. The fish flavor was amazing and the preparation complemented it. I ate at another restaurant where the fish was amazing but the preparation overwhelmed it. The char was so good that we went back two nights later and I had the char again - prepared slightly differently but still delicious. The wine list is pretty good, and the atmosphere upstairs was more appealing to me. Upstairs was small with several tables and beam ceilings. Like the old house that it is. the second time we were downstairs in a small room with books, like a small library. It had only three tables and it was awkward in that it seemed really quiet and like everyone could hear conversations from the other tables. I ate at this restaurant a few years ago and also had a great experience - I ate in the larger part of the downstairs and that was fine. In all cases the atmosphere is a bit older-crowd and very quiet/calm. Service was good. All in all, this is my favorite restaurant in Reykjavik because the quality of the fish and the preparation is so good. When I travel, I travel to eat well, so restaurants are important to my travel enjoyment.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Goole, United Kingdom
“Sorry to spoil the party, but the food wasn't very good”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Fascinating building at the bottom of Laugavegur, in the middle of Reykjavik.
Very crowded, but they managed to find us a table - so it feels mean to be so critical.
Excellent atmosphere, very smart staff, immaculate table presentation...
...but they didn't seem to care about the food.
At the table next to us were four people from the television industry. We know that because we could hear every word they said. They didn't seem too bothered about what they ate, and that seemed right for this restaurant.
The food was slow in coming.
My main course had been sitting under the lights for far too long. The sauce was hot but congealed, the flavours were dull, and it looked tired.
My companion's steak was tough and full of gristle. When we explained to the waitress why half of the steak was still on the plate at the end, she shrugged and said that Icelandic steak was different. Four nights before we'd had truly excellent steak in Egilsstadir, and gently told her so, but she wasn't interested.
We had neither sweet nor coffee - very unusual for us. And left with a sense of disappointment.
They have a prime location, and the restaurant looks really good through the window. But, from our experience, it was all show and little substance.

2 Thank ACM42
Roswell, Georgia
“Nice bright space with traditional fare”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Great waitstaff serving fresh seafood, Icelandic favorites and other western options. The bread was really good and I had a excellently prepared cod dish. Overall a very good experience.

• Visited May 2013
London
“Would I eat there again ? Probably...”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Wasn't poor , wasn't mind blowing great. Good food, done well, and decent service. Full of tourists so clearly its location in the middle of downtown Reykjavik snares the passing traffic. Quaint building and snug dining rooms. We had a great table in the corner with window looking out onto the mainstreet so spent some good time just people watching as we awaited our meals. Would be interested to know what one of the tables inbt eh back roomwould be like.The service was punctual and courteous and our only gripe was the limited and somewhat overpriced wine list. Overall a pleasant evening.

Harelbeke, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“nice and typical Icelandic”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a simple dish wich was very good prepared, Icelandic Lamb.
The restaurant is an old typical Icelandic house in wood near by the concert hall Harpa.