“I almost missed my favorite meal of my lifetime.”
Review of Humarhusid - CLOSED

Humarhusid
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Lobster House, located on Amtmannsstígur 1, has been operated since 1993.In that time The Lobster House has made a reputation for itself as one of the country’s most popular restaurants. The restaurant is located in the heart of the capital and is known for its comfortable and romantic atmosphere. The house was built in 1838 and its original look has been preserved, which provides the restaurant with its distinctive character.As the name indicates, lobster dishes are the restaurant’s hallmark (trademark). In spite of that The Lobster House’s menu is quite diverse and guests can choose between a range of seafood, vegetarian and meat courses.The Lobster House’s wine menu is equally diverse, offering a selection of wines from regions across the globe.
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I recently took my first trip to Reykjavik and my father is a seafood fanatic. We were looking for restaurants that would appeal to his seafood craving and adhere to my vegetarian roots. We saw the sign advertising both; however, we were confused when we went to see the menu. Nowhere on the menu was there a vegetarian option. We asked the host and was told there is a vegetarian meal of the day. I ordered this option and waited to see what would come out. To my delight, a beautiful dish arrived including barley cakes, lettuce and mixed vegetables. I've never had anything like it. I would have to say this was the best meal I've ever had and I almost missed it. It was a well composed and simply delicious experience.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I've been to 90+ countries in the last few years. Have eaten in places all across the world. That being said, this was the single best meal of my life (back in 2010). I'm flying to Iceland in December mainly to go to Humarhusid again. No joke, it was that good. Sorry for the delayed review, but wow, this was good. Order the lobster prepared 2-ways (broiled and with garlic), and you will not be disappointed. Can't wait for December 2014!

3  Thank sunny108
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had the Lobster Fantasy - 7 lobster tails fixed several different ways, also lobster bisque, and desserts. It was our 50th anniversary and we wanted a special meal; this didn't disappoint us. This is a nearly 200 year old house, home of reykjavik's first mayor. Several rooms set up as dining rooms, great service, no rush, first class place!

2  Thank gold3493
Reviewed August 13, 2014

quite pricey but the grilled lobster tails are amazing - the meals were beautifully cooked and presented

1  Thank LL123_12
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My wife and I dined at the Lobster House in late July. Pricing is much higher than indicated on various websites. I had the "lobster feast" which was priced at $97.00 US dollars. My wife had a pork dish which was priced at about $45.00. Her food was undercooked and sent back. My meal remained on the table. They gave her a lobster bisque while she waited. I finished my meal before her dinner was returned----at least half an hour. Needless to say, our dining event was a mess. They ended up not charging for my wife's meal-----but it did not make up for the poor experience.
As far as the food goes, the supposedly wonerful lobster bisques had a couple of microscopic pieces of lobster and was runny---not thick as bisque is supposed to be. Not all that tasty either.
The lobster feast was several different lobster preparations. One was tasty, the others bland. Note, the "lobsters" are langostinos-----maybe 2 ounces each. My wife's pork dish ended up being very tasty.