“Delicious & Worth the $$”
Review of Humarhusid - CLOSED

Humarhusid
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Lobster House, located on Amtmannsstígur 1, has been operated since 1993.In that time The Lobster House has made a reputation for itself as one of the country’s most popular restaurants. The restaurant is located in the heart of the capital and is known for its comfortable and romantic atmosphere. The house was built in 1838 and its original look has been preserved, which provides the restaurant with its distinctive character.As the name indicates, lobster dishes are the restaurant’s hallmark (trademark). In spite of that The Lobster House’s menu is quite diverse and guests can choose between a range of seafood, vegetarian and meat courses.The Lobster House’s wine menu is equally diverse, offering a selection of wines from regions across the globe.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had heard other travellers complain that the Lobster House was a little too pricey, but we didn't find that to be the case. Our dinners were delicious and the service was quick and friendly. Definitely the best seafood dinner we had on our trip.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is where I first experienced Icelandic fish soup and lobster (langostines). The soup was superior, and the recommended wine to accompanuy it was remarkably appropriate for a "by the glass" option. The lobster, however, was disappointing. I did not know how truly bad it was until I'd had many more lobsters during my 3 visits to Iceland. I think, given the texture, that it might have been a few days old. If not, it was certainly overcooked. A travesty, really.

Had I known more about how Icelandic lobsters should taste, I would have sent the dish back to the kitchen. This restaurant had many happy customers the night I was there, including Icelanders, so I must assume it's quite good (if expensive). My recommendation, then, is to not be shy; if a dish does not seem quite right, send it back. That's what I should have done.

Desert and coffee were decent, but I felt rushed. I was dining alone, and the staff quite clearly wanted my table. Or perhaps they did not favor women dining alone. Again, I have found in subsequent trips to Iceland that this offputting behaviour is quite unusual. I'd like to think that the staff was having an unusually bad night.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The house is lovely and the interior is really nicely done in separate rooms each of which is itself very pretty. However, the food and drinks are extremely expensive, even by Icelandic standards. Of course that would be fine if it was excellent - it was good, I won't deny that, and was not tiny portions, but it was not excellent. The langoustines that I had were a bit overlooked and too garlicky (even for garlic langoustines) - again, I wouldn't be put off by that if not for the price. I also found the staff were the least friendly people we met in Iceland. Icelandic people have been extremely friendly and patient but here we found that our questions were tolerated and we felt badly for asking. Finally, the service is slow which is good for food that is freshly prepared but not for beverages. As you are in separate small rooms its hard to know if the staff have disappeared which again, at this price, is not what would be expected.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Food was nice, lobster = langostine in Iceland. Nice lobster/langostine soup. Very accommodating. Slightly higher price. Fish is wonderful in most Icelandic restaurants, as it is at the Lobster House.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were glad to book a last-minute table as the food was really delicious, albeit that we had to wait for ages to be served. The lobster is quite expensive, but worth it as you get quantity as well as well as quality.

1  Thank kateyz