“2nd time -- and the last”
Review of Humarhusid - CLOSED

Humarhusid
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Lobster House, located on Amtmannsstígur 1, has been operated since 1993.In that time The Lobster House has made a reputation for itself as one of the country’s most popular restaurants. The restaurant is located in the heart of the capital and is known for its comfortable and romantic atmosphere. The house was built in 1838 and its original look has been preserved, which provides the restaurant with its distinctive character.As the name indicates, lobster dishes are the restaurant’s hallmark (trademark). In spite of that The Lobster House’s menu is quite diverse and guests can choose between a range of seafood, vegetarian and meat courses.The Lobster House’s wine menu is equally diverse, offering a selection of wines from regions across the globe.
Sanary-sur-Mer, France
“2nd time -- and the last”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had previously visited this restaurant in Dec 2009 and based on that positive experience decided on a return trip in July 2012. Big mistake! Whereas 3 years ago, service was professional, calm and reassured, and the food was both high quality and in sufficient quantity, this time the service seemed helpless and inexperienced, and the food portions have turned absolutely minuscule. I understand that a fine dining restraurant is never going to present you a full plate of food but to charge close to 30 GBP for 2 microscopic pieces of lamb and literally NOTHING ELSE on the plate is really taking it a few steps too far. We had lamb in other rsetaurants on this trip that was cooked better, cost less, and was not lost on its own on a massive plate.

Do not waste your money here!

2 Thank alexb2

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good food, service not so good”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was our third time at this restaurant and unfortunetly not as good as the first two times. The food was good but the service slow and unprofessional. We felt forgotten and had to ask for more bread and more water, and had too wait long for each course. The waiter never asked us how the food was. When the desert came we had to ask for coffee which came later. This was a preordered group meal and I thought coffee would be served with the cake or at least we would be asked if we wanted it.

Canmore, Canada
“Don't waste your money...”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I made a last minute decision to eat at Humarhúsið and upon asking if they would except us without a reservation the host warmly agreed to give us a table if we could wait for a few minutes, and he got one ready for us right away. This initial prompt service is the last warm feeling I got from the place. I was impressed at first because my husband and I look... a little quirky (to say the least) and we're used to being treated poorly in "upscale" venues. We always dress appropriately and we are always polite but we are definitely easy to pick out of a crowd and it's resulted in us being snubbed frequently.

Before I say anything else I want to note that the host was 100% lovely and polite to us for the duration of our meal, totally great guy, our waitress on the other hand was probably one of the worst servers I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with and her attitude completely ruined our meal and we've both vowed never to return to Humarhúsið. She initially greeted us with a smile which rapidly turned into a scowl the minute she realized we would not be ordering a $200 bottle of wine as the tables surrounding us had, but rather two single glasses- it was all downhill from there.

There is much to say so I'll give you a highlight reel... she didn't bring us bread until after our well after our appetizer came, which the host had to bring to us since she neglected to do so (she did eventually come over in a huff but only because we confused the name of our dish and told the host we hadn't ordered it). Two different waitress who's sections we were not in refilled our water and cleared our plates after noticing how long they had been sitting unattended. At one point our waitress stuck her head around the corner, surveyed our table which was visibly in need of service and then the minute I made eye contact with her she quickly (and I mean almost ran) hurried around the corner never to return. During this entire time I did get to see her though... serving her other tables which were occupied by customers with giant bottles of wine and, lets be honest, people who were visibly much wealthier than my husband and I. The last time we saw her was on the way out (she never checked to see if our food was good, done or paid for) and all we got from her was a sneer and a "thanks for coming" under her breath as she dutifully carried some dishes over to another table. I might add that everyone around us noticed the poor service we were getting so we got to be humiliated as well as rejected.

A comment on the food... it was delicious but it's was pretty much your standard pricey, small portioned food for people with more money than brains. Nothing to write home about. This is the only restaurant in Iceland where we received bad service and it was was the most expensive, coming in at somewhere around $160. If you look a little funky or can't afford $200 bottles of wine on top of a $200 bill then please don't bother going here, spend your money on a place that cares about you enough to want you to return instead of leaving you feeling like a piece of trash being swept out the door.

2 Thank Stephanie C
Austin, Texas
“Fabulous Lobster with Cheese Sauce”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This restaurant has impeccable service, wonderful wines and delicious food. Our entire table had the Lobster with Cheese sauce and it was divine. Appetizers were the Lobster Bisque and a fish with cream cheese on top. Both were raved over. The restaurant is pricey but well worth the kronas. Reservations are a must during the summer. It was a bit warm inside so I would suggest layers. We sat at a dining table that you would expect to find in your grandmother's home. It was just perfect with interesting yet comfortable seating. I will definitely be back next year!

• Visited June 2012
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Always perfect”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Been there so many times and it's always perfict! Service is friendly and the Icelandic lobster is one of a kind.

Visited August 2011