“Nice Surprise!!”

Hornid
Ranked #120 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Háaleiti
Longfield, United Kingdom
“Nice Surprise!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Found this little restaurant by chance really. My partner and I were staying at the Radisson 1919 Hotel opposite just after Boxing day. We stepped out of the hotel the first night and practically got blown across the street in to this little gem of a restaurant. We had the special off the board which was fish and it was lovely. The restaurant had a nice ambiance, a relaxed, cosy feel about the place. I wouldn't say the service was lightning but we weren't in a rush so it didn't matter. The cost of the meal with drinks came to £32.33 which was fine considering. We enjoyed the meal so much we returned the following evening, sat in the same chairs in the corner by the window and had the special again which was a meat dish and which was again excellent. On the third night we couldn't get in again as it was full!
We would heartily recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2012

Los Angeles, California
“Nice Italian cafe”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went here for a whim for dinner on our second night here and found it to be pretty good. It's a charming little cafe with a small front room and kitchen upstairs. The service wasn't that great as it took some time for them to even notice we had arrived, but not enough to really complain about.

I had the fish of the day, which I was told was Halibut but found out later was actually sea Trout (which was fine too) on a bed of vegetables and some potatoes on the side. The fish was tasty, and the vegetables were...well, they were just vegetables. I don't know what they did to the potatoes, but they tasted amazing. My partner had a pepperoni pizza, which looked good and tasted good as well.

Had the chocolate cake and ice cream, as well as the skyr panna cotta with berries for dessert. They were both just all right, nothing special.

Not the cheapest meal (a common theme here in Reykjavik), cost around $50 total.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Shrubbo
Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
“Delicious”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had the seafood soup to start, which was like a rich bisque with dill and whipped cream - plenty of prawns mussels and scallops in it, too.

Bread was fresh backed and lovely.

Pizzas were amazing - thin crisp stone-baked bases made in front of you.

Service was friendly and quick. We were in between dining times and it was great that they were open and offering a full menu.

• Visited November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Affordable Italian Comfort Food”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My friend and I were in the mood for pasta so we came to Hornid. There were quite a few pizzas that looked really tempting - especially because we were seated next to the pizza chef and watched him prepare a couple. We ended up getting garlic bread with cheese and 2 different pasta dishes. One - spaghetti carbonara (LOTS of bacon, very creamy and filling) and a salmon with leeks/penne dish (my friend said it was delicious). I wished I had not ordered the garlic bread with cheese and each order of pasta already came with garlic bread. The place was full but we were able to snag one of the last tables. Very cozy and I would definitely go back to try that pizza!

• Visited November 2012
Oslo, Norway
“Nice pizza place”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Went there for lunch with the family, but have been here several times before over the years. For decades this has been a great place to go for pizza, and they have maintained good food and a friendly staff. They have good fish here as well, for those who prefer that.

• Visited October 2012