“OK but not great”

Ranked #83 of 535 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We went for dinner at Caruso and enjoyed a starter and a main each. We had not booked a table so we were told to wait 30 minutes before we could get one. The waitress took put our name on the waiting list, promised to keep a table for us, as we went out to get a drink in another place (the bar upstairs was completely full). After 30 minutes we returned and were seated straight away.

My partner did order a pizza and she was not overly impressed with her main. I however was pleased with the lobster pasta I had. Overall I would say that the food was good, but not great. Same goes for the service. As the whole meal was 10 000 ISK for two people it was still good value for money and I would definitely consider returning to Caruso in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had a great dinner in this restuarant. It was few months ago and I still remember the taste of their carpaccio and lamb. I also remember that staff was extremely friendly and all the atmosphere was just perfect. I think it is the best restaurant I have ever had a chance to dine. From that time, none of carpaccios (served by other restuarants) tasted that good... I have to come back there. It is a must for me when in Reykjavik again.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We dropped in here to avoid the wind in Reykjavik and were pleasantly surprised. The service was warm and attentive and the pizzas of a good standard. The overall bill was reassuringly low and overall it was worth the visit.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had the shrimp risotto when I went. The presentation was nice, and the dish was tasty, but I really expected more for my money. Do not go if you are very hungry at the moment, because the service could take a while. This place is really no frills. Dark and cozy, in an eery sort of way. I wouldn´t go back, but it´s not bad. Just over priced and underwhelming.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We enjoyed our visit to the Caruso restaurant. Walking in without a booking (a risk on a Friday evening), we were quickly shown to a table, which was in a cramped corner of the building. Oh well, you don't judge a restaurant on arm room exclusively... Starters of lobster soup and duo of marinated/dill salmon went down well, followed by an interesting risotto (almost dry in comparison to the norm) served with a skewer of shrimp and a pasta penne chicken dish were all good and were finished off with gusto. Glasses of house wine were acceptable. Decaf coffee was a little bitter. Service was excellent. All in all, a nice place to eat.