“It´s ok”
Review of Caruso

Caruso
Ranked #47 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It´s ok”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had the shrimp risotto when I went. The presentation was nice, and the dish was tasty, but I really expected more for my money. Do not go if you are very hungry at the moment, because the service could take a while. This place is really no frills. Dark and cozy, in an eery sort of way. I wouldn´t go back, but it´s not bad. Just over priced and underwhelming.

• Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin
“Cramped tables but good food”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We enjoyed our visit to the Caruso restaurant. Walking in without a booking (a risk on a Friday evening), we were quickly shown to a table, which was in a cramped corner of the building. Oh well, you don't judge a restaurant on arm room exclusively... Starters of lobster soup and duo of marinated/dill salmon went down well, followed by an interesting risotto (almost dry in comparison to the norm) served with a skewer of shrimp and a pasta penne chicken dish were all good and were finished off with gusto. Glasses of house wine were acceptable. Decaf coffee was a little bitter. Service was excellent. All in all, a nice place to eat.

• Visited November 2012
Ridgewell
“Nice experience, downtown Reykjavik”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice no frills Italian food at very reasonable prices. Whereas the menu is quite varied the wine list is pretty basic.
The friendly service and great ambience is what makes this place a pleasant experience. Suggest you ask for at table upstairs...

• Visited October 2012
Reykjavík, Iceland
“Cozy place, reasonable prices, great food!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Caruso has been around for years and I always enjoy visiting! I recommend the lobster pizza, it is awesome! The service can be a little slow but it's always friendly and the place is so cozy and nice to hang out at that it doesn't matter.

• Visited November 2011
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Can't understand the hype. A poor experience.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

So, it was our first night in Reykjavík and we were looking for a nice, simple meal to start our trip. After a glance at TripAdvisor and a walk along Laugavegur, we settled on Caruso. This is one of those large, themed restaurants that always seem busy. I immediately liked the decor and ambience, the atmosphere seemed nice and, as I previously mentioned, it was very busy, which I always think is a good sign. We were seated immediately at a table with a nice view of the street. It all looked very positive.

The menu is pretty standard; pasta, pizza, meat courses and standard Italian deserts. The wine list was quite limited, with all alcoholic drinks bearing the usual high Icelandic prices. We ordered a couple of pizzas and some wine. This was where it began to go wrong. The service was horrible. Our waiter was the most uninterested person I've met in a long time. 'Service with a smile' this was not, try 'service with a sigh and a scowl'. The next problem was that all of the tables around us that had arrived after us (in some cases fifteen to twenty minutes later) got their food before us. There was absolutely no explanation for this, and our waiter seemed to be making a conscious effort to avoid us.

When the food did arrive, I was less than impressed. I have never eaten a pizza like this one. The crust and the underside of the base were burnt to a crisp, whilst the toppings were completely undercooked. How they managed to achieve this seemingly impossible feat is beyond me, but it wasn't very nice. I can only assume that the pizzas are all made as plain 'margheritas', with the toppings added after the cooking. In any case, it was pretty bad.

It had, by this point, become evident that Caruso is nothing more than a tourist trap. We began to notice the lack of local voices among the diners, which now seems unusual as all of the other restaurants we visited in Reykjavík had a fairly even mix of clientele. This place was full of other tourists, including some who insisted on taking flash photographs of each other every few minutes. But I suppose I can't blame the restaurant for that.

I had intended to order a desert, however I was so disappointed with the quality of the food and so disgusted with the standard of the service that I didn't bother. The time came for our surly waiter to return in order to take payment. Still no smile. I wouldn't return and certainly wouldn't recommend this place. Avoid.

Visited October 2012