“Can't understand the hype. A poor experience.”
Review of Caruso

Caruso
Ranked #83 of 535 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2012

So, it was our first night in Reykjavík and we were looking for a nice, simple meal to start our trip. After a glance at TripAdvisor and a walk along Laugavegur, we settled on Caruso. This is one of those large, themed restaurants that always seem busy. I immediately liked the decor and ambience, the atmosphere seemed nice and, as I previously mentioned, it was very busy, which I always think is a good sign. We were seated immediately at a table with a nice view of the street. It all looked very positive.

The menu is pretty standard; pasta, pizza, meat courses and standard Italian deserts. The wine list was quite limited, with all alcoholic drinks bearing the usual high Icelandic prices. We ordered a couple of pizzas and some wine. This was where it began to go wrong. The service was horrible. Our waiter was the most uninterested person I've met in a long time. 'Service with a smile' this was not, try 'service with a sigh and a scowl'. The next problem was that all of the tables around us that had arrived after us (in some cases fifteen to twenty minutes later) got their food before us. There was absolutely no explanation for this, and our waiter seemed to be making a conscious effort to avoid us.

When the food did arrive, I was less than impressed. I have never eaten a pizza like this one. The crust and the underside of the base were burnt to a crisp, whilst the toppings were completely undercooked. How they managed to achieve this seemingly impossible feat is beyond me, but it wasn't very nice. I can only assume that the pizzas are all made as plain 'margheritas', with the toppings added after the cooking. In any case, it was pretty bad.

It had, by this point, become evident that Caruso is nothing more than a tourist trap. We began to notice the lack of local voices among the diners, which now seems unusual as all of the other restaurants we visited in Reykjavík had a fairly even mix of clientele. This place was full of other tourists, including some who insisted on taking flash photographs of each other every few minutes. But I suppose I can't blame the restaurant for that.

I had intended to order a desert, however I was so disappointed with the quality of the food and so disgusted with the standard of the service that I didn't bother. The time came for our surly waiter to return in order to take payment. Still no smile. I wouldn't return and certainly wouldn't recommend this place. Avoid.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,228)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stopped here for lunch one day. We were greeted immediately and seated at a table. The restaurant had a couple of other people in there so wasn't too busy. I ordered pizza with two toppings (feta cheese and sundried tomatoes) and my husband had lasagna. We were bought free bread, butter and garlic mayonnaise as a starter which was lovely. The meals arrived perfectly timed and were lovely. The pizza was huge and very reasonably priced (about £8 each) which is not bad for Iceland. The lasagna according to hubby was delicious.

Overall the food was excellent, service excellent and atmosphere excellent. I can't fault it.

1  Thank manchesterLizard
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We wandered into Caruso Restaurant on a cold evening. The atmosphere was dark, warm and cozy. The server was friendly. My sister and I both ordered off of the "light" menu. I had their vegetable quiche. It was more like a vegetable pot pie. It was delicious! (My sister had the shrimp risotto. She enjoyed hers too.) For "light fare" it was pretty filling.
I would definitely recommend popping in Caruso for dinner in Reykjavik.

1  Thank Vsch
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A wonderful, Mediterranean influenced restaurant on one of the corners of the main shopping/restaurant street in a three storey old building. Great food: well-presented and quality ingredients. Most efficient, friendly, attentive (yet non-instrusive) service. Pleasant, relaxing atmosphere. Good value too (by Icelandic standards). To be especially recommended: the superb lobster soup and king prawn risotto. Well-worth a visit!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We found this restaurant by chance and glad we did. We didntt book but did arrive just before the evening rush. We were seated on the ground floor and the surroundings have a really lovely traditional italian feel. The food was good, staff friendly and service prompt. We would visit again.

1  Thank NichaUk