Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 AM
Book In Advance
Tours from Basecamp Iceland tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews lava tube caving hot chocolate land rover northern lights small group physical activity range rover hands and knees lava fields exciting tour folk tales private tour safety briefing volcano house experienced guide these guys unforgettable experience
Reviewed July 12, 2016 via mobile

I did two tours with this company. Both were fabulous. The lava cave tour was very enjoyable. It was interesting to see a cave that was not like the limestone caves that I have previously been into. Even the drive to the cave was beautiful. Our guide was very informative, and made the tour fun. The next day, I did 'Reykjavik Erupts'. I honestly did not know what to expect. Based on the brochure that I had, I thought it was going to be a basic tour. I was so wrong. It turned out to be the best tour that I did in my time there - even better than the Golden Circle. Our guide Dofri was very knowledgable about the geology of the area. He also gave us lots of information about other things in Iceland. Our group was very small. There were only three of us and so we were able to spend as much time as we wanted taking photos. We went to several places that did not have many other people. For me, this is one of the reasons why I enjoyed it so much. If you enjoy learning about the history and geology of the area, this is definitely a tour that you must do. And if you simply just like to see beautiful scenery, without all the crowds, then this is also a tour that you should do.

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank canadabim
Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

Excellent tour. We were the only one on todays early trip, and had Dofri (i think it was spelled this way) as our guide.

He was easygoing and very knowledgeable about Iceland, the area, history, volcanoes and the fauna.

We had a lot of fun and it was nice to go somewhere else than all the regular "tourist traps".

We visited a smal hill with a stunning view, hot springs and had a short picknick. Lastly the east valley of Reykjavik before he kindly dropped us off at the city centre.

We recommend this tour for everyone

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank Harald K
Reviewed June 28, 2016

I've never felt compelled to leave a review before but this was hands down one of the best tours I've ever been on!

The scenery on the drive over was gorgeous. Our expert guide, Viktoria, was very knowledgable and helpful. Our tour was full of information about Iceland's volcanoes, it's culture, and riddled with quick-witted remarks. Trekking through the caves was a blast and Viktoria did a great job making sure no one died. Overall, the tour was very engaging and exciting!

Time flew by very fast and it was over before we knew it. After the tour, Viktoria was kind enough to drop us all off at Bjórgarðurinn, where we all enjoyed great beer and food!
I would highly recommend Iceland Expeditions for a memorable experience in Iceland!

2  Thank ryannotbrian
Reviewed June 25, 2016

Tour: Reykjavik Erupts!
Our off-road adventure through the volcanic regions near Reykjavik was exciting, comfortable, interesting, and great fun all in one! Our small, international group experienced the volcanoes surrounding Reykjavik while learning potential eruption risks to the city. Kommi, the guide, was quick-witted, well-informed, and extremely personable. He also wove folklore and cultural information into the science, and had great stories or explanations for every question asked. My 13 year old son was thrilled to see well-visited mud pots, plus bonus locations "off the beaten path". I will definitely use Iceland Expeditions on our next trip!

1  Thank CoralC120
Reviewed June 22, 2016

This is a small group exploration of a lava cave with an expert guide. This was really one to recognise as fantastic. The whole family were able to go through. There are some low level ceilings to get past in the early stages, kneeling, crawling and rolling but from there on things were generally much easier. The guide had a very good sense of humour and it was appreciated. We had a deliberate total blackout deep in the cave which was very interesting.