“they charge more then promosed from creditcard!!!! Complaining does not help!!”
Review of Pavi Apartments

Pavi Apartments
Ranked #85 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Reykjavik
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 23, 2012

we arrived in the night, they promised us a room with a sink but did not get it, they told us we could still choose (3am!!). Be aware, the webside told us an amount in euros but they transfer it to ISK with an extremely bad rate, so actually the amount you pay is 20% higher then written on the website!! So be aware. When I told this to the staff (I think the boss) he was extremely rude!!! For the rest the service was bad, for breakfast you had to wait because there was no space. I would only sleep here when the other option is sleeping in the street. Actually we did not get even a room in the hotel itself but in an other old building where you had to take a shower in the shared kitchen!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paul1051

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The first thing you notice when you arrive at Pavi, about 25mins walk from Reykjavik city centre, is that there's no bell. There's a note asking you to call a number for access (if you don't have a working phone you're basically screwed). It can then take up to 10 mins for someone to come down to let you in and check you in. One couple we spoke to said they'd been left for 10 mins in the pouring rain. Simply incredible that they don't have a buzzer system to grant access.

Then there is no lift, so have to carry luggage up two flights of stairs.

When we arrived first we booked for two nights, as we were on a red eye flight and didn't arrive until 3am. The idea being that we could just sleep through until the afternoon the next day. But, they messed up the booking, meaning that we'd have to stay in two different rooms on the two different nights. Thus, we were rudely ushered from one room to the other early the next morning after barely 5 hours sleep. Horrible!

This being Iceland, in summer, when there is almost 23 hours daylight, one would expect the curtains to keep out the light. One would expect wrongly.

The beds were fairly uncomfortable, the bedsheets had holes, the duvets look like they've never been washed (at least there were no bedbugs) only one small bedside light worked (ie the main light and other bedside light didn't), the walls were like cardboard, the flush in the men's toilet didn't work properly, the shower was filthy,  breakfast was terrible (even by hostel standards) and the cutlery dirty on one occassion, tabletop surfaces in the rooms were dirty and sticky, and the rooms generally not very clean.

It did have its plusses, though not many. Late check in, free wifi in all rooms, walkable distance from downtown Reykjavik. Cheap.

I know this is the lowest end if the accommodation market in Reykjavik, but for €30 per night one expects a certain standard. Not looking for the Hilton, just a small bit of comfort and cleanliness. It's incredible that such a place can still exist in the 21st Century.

Oh well, lesson learned. Next time (and there will be a next time) we'll fork over that little bit extra to stay somewhere much better.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank DavidDennis

Travelers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Reykjavík
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel was a good value for money and previous clients' comments available on internet were correct (clean, basic, well located, the cheapest available...)
Checking-in was not easy, rather unusual. Front door usually locked and the door bell broken. You had to call a mobile number displayed there for a receptionist to open you the door to check-in. Fine if you had a working phone with you, but problematic if had none.
Staff serving breakfast seemed a bit harsh with those coming to eat 5 minutes before the official closing time for breakfast. The breakfast room was far too small for all those wanted to eat, with one table even placed on corridor outside. Our table was in fact an small office desk, with 4No people cramped around it, with place for legs only on one side.

You'll get what you paid for - basic hotel for a basic price. Not bad if you just need to sleep at night and explore the beautiful Iceland otherwise.

For our first night we were in fact located in a basement of a small house 3 minutes drive away - a surprise to us, as this was NOT mentioned during our booking process. The second night few days later was in the Pavi building itself.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank bso1
FIN
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is a place you can choose if you need a cheap place in Reykjavik. Place wasn't that easy to find but not too hard, just keep your eyes open (not big signs or anything). We called the place Pavi's Hilton, which is surely wasn't. The staff was mostly young girls, maybe doing it as a summer job. English was decent. The owner was sometimes yelling to the girls. Sheets were OK clean, not even close to shiny white but "sleepable". Breakfast was served in a very small hall and it was mostly cerials and toast with very bad coffee.
NOTE: you have to call to the manager to check in! His number is downstairs in the door and usually he arrives quickly.

We stayed here twice during our trip: first when we arrived and then again after our hiking trip. When arriving, there was some booking error, so we got a three bed room instead of two/double bed, but they only charged as they have promised. Checking out was simple, just throw a key to the manager or like in the other room we stayed later during our trip: just leave it hanging on the door! The room where we stayed later was in a different building, a two rooms and common kitchen. When we arrived in the middle of the night from the city centre, the other couple from the other room had locked the main door so it couldn't be opened from the inside! Wasn't funny on that time, but they finally opened the door and I'm not sure did they understand what it was all about.

If you arrive earlier than check-in time, you can leave your backback/luggages to upstairs corridor with free of charge, but there is nobody to look after those and everybody has an access to those, so don't leave anything valuable there!
Place is OK if you need a room, nothing more. Common showers were ugly and they stink, bring your slippers with you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Avo C
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This place is perfectly adequate. Low end clean enough rooms and bathrooms, ok location. At first I thought it was a bit far out, but after watching where others were left off after a tour yesterday, I realized its pretty good. Close to the water, maybe 10 minute walk to the main shopping street, bars, etc.

BUT.... Don't come without a phone. One of the other reviews says there's a pay phone nearby, but I didn't see it. Luckily I was able to steal wifi from somewhere else, and use Skype to call. Why no doorbell?? Or why not just let people walk in up to the third floor office?

If you have no phone or no Skype enabled device there is NO way to get in.

Otherwise, like I said, perfectly adequate, considering the prices around town.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank easyysae
Quispamsis
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We arrived on a very early flight. Went to find the guesthouse thinking we might be able to get rid of our bags or even better, an early check-in, shower and nap befor heading out to explore. We did get in and asked an employee who was looking after breakfast, if we could check-in. Not surprising, the answer was no, but she said she would register us and give us a key so that when we came back after 3pm we would be able to get in the front door. At that moment, a man arrived...perhaps the manager. He start cursing and swearing at the poor girl for doing this. He was very rude to us. I suggested if we were inconveniencing him, we could get other accommodations. He backed down then, but my first encounter with an Icelander left a bitter taste.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joyce M
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Before I begin, let me note that I joined Trip Advisor specifically to write this review.

Reykjavik was the last stop on my three week European backpacking trip. To save money during the trip, I opted to stay in hostels and guesthouses in lieu of more expensive and luxurious hotels. So naturally I wasn't expecting king sized beds and whirlpool tubs in my accommodations. Then I arrived at Guesthouse Pavi, a place where the bar is set so far below my expectations, it might as well be on the ground.

First, previous reviewers are correct in that there is no reception, and upon arriving, you must call for someone to come and check you in. So make sure you either have some ISK on you (there's a pay phone), or be willing to pay charges on your phone if you're traveling internationally. Einar, the owner (?), went through the details of check in very quickly so be sure to have your thinking cap on. Also, be aware that your room might not be in the actual guesthouse...I was taken a block away. That's not such a big deal though, but kind of a downer when you realize you have to carry your backpack that much further. Also, he offered to carry my boyfriend's backpack but not mine. What a gentleman!

The room was pretty standard: three twin beds (although I had booked a double), a desk, tv, etc. The pillows were very flat and had torn pillowcases. The sheets had holes as well. There was a lamp on the desk, even though the only outlet was on another wall. That's nice, decorative lamps that have nowhere to be plugged in. There was one plug in the entire room. There were also exposed wires, so maybe you could fashion an outlet if you were handy enough.

Also, you get an ancient looking key for your room, and not a key card like I was given in other hostels. Hide your valuables when you're there because the door just needs a swift kick to be opened without the key, and because Einar/staff come into your room even though you've rented it. How do I know they come into your room? Well, note that my room had three beds. So there were three sets of linens. This was a blessing in disguise, because I could use the extra pillow to prop up another, and together this created one normal pillow. The next evening, after returning from a long day of sightseeing, I was looking forward to a nice peaceful sleep. When I got into the room, I noticed that someone had come in and taken the extra linens, including going over to my bed, reaching under my stuff, and taking the extra pillow someone was obviously using. Ew. I understand it is a small detail of an otherwise wonderful experience in Reykjavik, but I find it inappropriate for staff to enter and take things from your room, especially if it's clear that they're being used. Was it the only other pillow in multiple buildings? Is the owner/staff just that lazy or inconsiderate?

The bathroom was fine...I'm not sure why the heat was turning on in July though. It wasn't *that* cold out.

I would've felt better about my experience in Guesthouse Pavi if the cost per night was maybe 20 Euros less. But it's not, and thus I implore you to avoid...avoid...avoid this place!

Room Tip: to get the best room, go to another guesthouse.