“Amazing restaurant in great location ”
Review of AALTO Bistro - CLOSED

AALTO Bistro
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian, Central European, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: WE HAVE CLOSED DOWN from 22.08.2019! Nordic cool at its best. For years, the renowned chef Sveinn Kjartansson has been showing viewers of Icelandic television how to make the most of the country's natural food sources, especially its impressive range of seafood. Now, visitors to AALTO Bistro can sample for themselves the work of this creative chef, in the form of delicious and delightful fresh lunch specials and during the day. When it comes to afternoon coffee, linger awhile, over delicious homemade cakes, all made with the best ingredients available at the time, Over the weekends, a delicately constructed dinner menu. Naturally, the fruits of the sea feature prominently, although meat and vegan options are also on offer. In true New Nordic style, the food at AALTO Bistro draws on fresh, local, healthy produce, ingredients which change with the seasons. Head chef Sveinn stirs in a dash of his trademark magic to create the prettiest of plates. Healthy food for a happy heart!
Reviewed July 17, 2019 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with my colleagues who live in Reykjavík. The building was designed by a Finnish architect who is very famous for his contemporary designs. The bistro is located inside, we were welcomed by the owner who has built up a great business and reputation for amazing food. We all choose the lunch time special menu which consisted of 3 courses, we had the cauliflower soup which was the best soup I have ever eaten! The main course was fish of the day and it was amazing, see photo. On top of that you have great views over the wildlife sanctuary. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you want a great experience and amazing food.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed May 9, 2019

AALTO Bistro is tucked into a corner of the Nordic House, next to Háskóli Íslands. The ambience is relaxed upscale Sandinavian, and the view of the university and Reykjavík from the floor-to-ceiling windows is beautiful.

They have a rotating menu every day, I got the fish of the day (plaice in a white wine dijon sauce) and it was the second best fish meals I've had in my 2 years living in Iceland (second only to Messinn). My wife got the fish soup and it was excellent also. For Reykjavík the price was very reasonable, you can get much cheaper food on Laugavegur for basically the same price (I paid maybe 300 ISK more for my fish than the cost of a burger and fries on the high street).

A great find, and I would highly recommend it!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 22, 2019

We came here solely because you get a 10% bill discount with the Reykjavik card, and we were at the nearby National Museum. What a great find - This was one of the best meals of the whole trip. Location is great as not on the main tourist strip and great view over the lake (with lots of birdlife) and city skyline. Being from Australia, we had no idea who owned the restaurant until my partner pointed out that our waiter was on the cover of a cookbook displayed at the front of the shop. No wonder he knew the menu back to front!! Excellent service and ambience. We had the soup - super delicious with the tastiest (and very generous) bread serving. And the chocolate cake was to die for! Not too rich and great flavour. For such a delicious meal, the price for lunch is very good value when you compare to standard Reykjavik prices. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

Not sure where the negative reviews for this restaurant actually ate!
It delivers just what it says - lovely bistro food.
Portions are good - we had the Rhubarb glazed Cod and it was a huge piece of fish.
Service was good.
All in all - it was great.
It’s not a flashy restaurant it’s a great little bistro!
Super find!

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 26, 2019 via mobile

Visited a local museum and found this resturant and I'm glad we did. Food was fantastic, carefully produced and of a high standard. Menu could be seen as being limited but given it is all freshly produced this is understandable.

Service was good despite being very busy when we first arrived. Mainly locals eating which is always a good sign.

Tip - if you can get a window seat. On a clear day the views are lovely.

Date of visit: March 2019