“Worst nights sleep. Apartment is located on the first floor over a busy bar with no sound installation. Stay here if you're a de”
Review of Apartment K

Apartment K
Ranked #18 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Reykjavik
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The apartment we were allocated (hit and miss what you get) was very big and spacious for 2 people but did look more like a bachelor pad with the decor black and red.

The bathroom had a glass sliding door so you can forget about privacy.

The apartment was also located above a bar and as we stayed on a Saturday night were kept awake by very drunk people until 5am. Then again at 6.30am by the rubbish truck picking up all empty bottles.

The street itself was incredibly busy and noisy.

We had to get up at 7am for an early day trip of hiking so already started the day exhausted! Will never come back.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank lottaluv33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The photos and reviews did not live up to the expectation. We arrived at Apartment K expecting a very clean, centrally located accommodation. And, although we were in the center of town, the room and service couldn't have been worse. Our "deluxe" room was in the basement of an alley, and it looked as if it hadn't been occupied in weeks. Everything was dusty and there was dirt all over the couch. After being shown to our room, my husband decided to take a shower. Little did he know that there were no towels! I immediately walked to the front desk, and was told that they were "busy" and would bring towels down - never happened and he ended up drying with an old t-shirt. When we got up in the morning (after being woken up three times during the night by people in the street yelling), we found that there was a massive leak in the ceiling that had let water drip into our suitcase all night from the flat above - disaster. The best thing about this place was leaving. I could write a whole review just on how the state and smell of the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank EmHixon
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Please read the other reviews about the surrounding area and the possibility of noise. We were lucky and stayed in the smaller set of apartments around the corner from most of the night life. I had no problems with getting assistance even at 6:30 AM when my tour did not show up. The young man who responded showed up quickly after I buzzed and made contact with our tour guide and resolved our challenge. One oppty: Our room had a door to an outside patio that required a shade. Other than this we were extremely happy. Bathroom is really spacious and unique towel warmer is a nice added treat. Separate sofa couch made a perfect bed for our daughter. Location made it easy to get to everything - eating, tours, shopping.

Room Tip: Rooms varied with amenities - nice to have a little kitchen area - we were never in the room long en...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cruzianbaby
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Apartment K is great, but Reykjavik is very noisy at night!
Knew this in advance, and Apartment K offered to give us their quietest property. They may have done, but expect no sleep.
If there is such a place avoid being within 100 metres of a bar / club. They drink outside with very load music until 4:30 am than shout and slam car doors until 5:30 am.

Room Tip: If there is such a place avoid being within 100 metres of a bar / club. They drink outside with very...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter W
Conegliano, Italy
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation for Apartment K through hotels.com and the reservation was not refundable nor modifiable.
However unfortunately, one week before the expected stay at Apartment K I had to change my plans and needed to anticipate the night of my stay (from Sunday night to Saturday night).
I made various calls and sent emails asking if I could change the date, anticipating it by one day, and I offered to pay any difference in price which was needed. Mr. Joost repeatedly said that the apartments were fully booked for the Saturday night. However I found on hotels.com and booking.com that there was availability and I informed him about this fact. He said that I could have booked and paid another night for the Saturday but he was not willing to change the night even if I was paying a difference in price. I continued to call him day after day until the Saturday and he continue to lie to me saying that it was fully booked, although the agency hotels.com verified the availability of the room for the Saturday.
I was very sad and disappointed with Mr. Joost behavior as I understand that I made a not refundable nor modifiable reservation, however I think that sometimes things change and although it was not his obligation to change my reservation he could have been at least more kind to me (as I offered to pay any price difference) or in any case avoided to lie to me.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank iCharlie79
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Perfect location, very clean and convinient accomodation, lovely staff, beautiful design, but extremely noisy if your room is facing the street of Þingholtsstræti 2!

There's an hostel on Bankastraeti with a roof bar opened from 10PM until 6AM. Neitherless to say that during the midnight sun, I wasn's able to sleep at all, because it was VERY noisy! Very, very, very disturbing and trust me I am a deep sleeper!

It is such a shame, and it's definately not Apartment K's fault, because my stay in their accomodation was totally flawless and I can only highly speak about this place and warmly recommend it to anyone visiting Reykjavik.

I would give an very excellent review, however I think that the noise level was unbearable to consider giving an average review.

Room Tip: If you want to at least enjoy your stay, I cannot insist enough on being careful on the room allocat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Julie C
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was lucky...they got me into the room early as I wasn't feeling well. Very simple, but had everything I could ask for. A small kitchen, separate bedroom and a great big TV!! The shower was a beautiful rock design. Once out the door your right in town and can walk everywhere. I'm picky about my hotels and didn't want to stay at an apartment type place, but this was delightful!

Room Tip: They are all different, ask.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business