All reviews guest house shared bathroom french press bread choice of cereals dark curtains city centre bsi bus station expensive city min walk wifi connection bed room comfortable beds stay there again buffet style pleasant stay cold meats
Selected filters
Reviewed March 4, 2017 via mobile

This is the place to stay! It is cheap yet clean and comfortable. It is close to the city and also provides free, safe parking if needed.

When we arrived we were made to feel welcome and they answered all the questions we had. The room was a decent size with 3 single beds and a small wardrobe. As there was 2 of us we used the three bed to keep our stuff on.

The guesthouse was always toasty warm- just what you needed after being out in the cold. While we were there the guesthouse was full but you wouldn't know it. There are two showers and two toilets and we never had to wait once!

Breakfast is fresh and of good quality. You could have cereal, fruit, cold meat, cheese and plenty of freshly baked bread which was still warm. You are offered fresh coffee as you go in.

You can also order packed lunches from them if you are going out on a tour all day. We did this when we drove the golden circle as we weren't sure where we would be able to stop to eat. There was plenty of food and good value for money.

All in all we had a great stay here. The country is amazing and I would suggest if you are looking for a warm clean base this is the place to be!

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

its a good value option in what is an expensive city to stay in.

the main positives are that the location is not far from the centre, the beds are comfortable, the wifi works well and the bathroom was quite good.

there is a breakfast provided which is good for saving money and respectable though space can be limited.

you have to wait until dead on 3pm to check in as they seem to take a while to get things ready, this was communicated a bit too abruptly on arrival but they did at least store our luggage.

have to be mindful that this is basically like staying in someones house so you have to take your shoes off and leave them at the door which some people might not be happy about.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2017

I booked this guesthouse very last minute and secured the last single room...it was obviously meant to be! My parents had a New Year trip to Iceland booked and I decided to turn up to surprise them (it worked!) I arrived on a cold and wet Wednesday evening to a very warm house, greeted by the very welcoming owner who quickly had me checked in and showed me to my room.
The room (downstairs on the lower level) was basic but plentiful with a 3/4 size bed (just for me), a wardrobe, bedside table and sink set inside a long shelf to put all my toiletries etc on. I had great (and free) wi-fi connection and an extension lead so I could have the lamp on, my phone charging and use my hairdryer (although there is a Remington one you can use stored in the communal shower room) Most importantly, the room was spotlessly clean and the bed very comfortable. The aforementioned shower room was also cleaned regularly and the shower was more than adequate. Considering the house was full I never had to wait to use the shower room (also accommodates a toilet). There are further shower rooms on the upper floor which I didn't need to use or visit.
Breakfast was lovely (and nicer than the much more expensive hotel my parents were staying in offered) - very fresh bread, warm croissants, a selection of cheeses and meats, yoghurts, a choice of cereals, fresh fruit and fresh juices. Tea and freshly pressed coffee were also offered as soon as I entered the dining area. This area was housed in a conservatory style part of the house which was lovely as you have views over to the city and you can easily see the Hallgrimskirkja (landmark church) from there.
I had a very pleasant 10 min walk through a park to the hotel where my parents were staying and then just a further 5 mins into the city. I believe the most direct route in is also a mere 15 min walk which, even in very snowy conditions really wasn't a problem. Knowing that I was returning later on that evening to a warm, cosy house was a lovely thought.
I loved my very short stay in Reykjavik. Iceland is an amazing country, I had a very faint glimpse of the Northern Lights but not nearly enough so I might well need to return. If I do I know exactly where I will be staying. Thankyou to all at the Alba Guesthouse, owners and travellers alike, I have returned home with lots of lovely memories.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2016 via mobile

Alba guesthouse was a great place to stay a few days in Reykjavik. It was clean and quiet and although we never did it, probably within walking distance to downtown. There was plenty of parking and our favorite part was the breakfast...so good! Bread, meats, cheeses, eggs, butter, jam, rolls, cereal, yogurt, the works. Check in was at 3...something we had said it was at noon which was a disappointment as we had flown in super early but just a miscommunication. We would happily stay there again.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2016

The couple running the guesthouse were fantastic. I found Iceland expensive except for this place. You wouldn't want to spend all day there but was a great location to venture out from. Nice breakfast included, they will even do you a packed lunch if you ask for a very reasonable price. I'd recommend this if you're going out on a tour as everywhere you stop is expensive

Date of stay: October 2016