“Nice hotel right on the main street” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
4th Floor Hotel
Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in Reykjavik
Portsmouth, NH
“Nice hotel right on the main street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

This hotel is very nice, and has a great location. The front desk staff were very friendly and were knowledgeable about the city and things to do. The building shares a location with the 101 guesthouse, and the 4th floor hotel is exactly that, the 4th floor of the building.

The room was average size, and was nicely furnished. The only issue was that the bathroom was kind of small (and you'll also find out that the tap water in Iceland stinks of sulfur). The bed was comfortable, and our room had a balcony that was shared with all of the other rooms on that side of the building.

The best part of the hotel is that it's right on the far end of the main street in Rejkyavik, Laugavegur. From here you can walk to just about everything: restaurants, bars, parks, there's even a bus transfer point right around the corner.

The breakfast in the morning was good, nothing special, but it was nice to be able to eat something before venturing out for the day. Definitely a great value for the price paid.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

My cousin and I just got back from Reykjavik yesterday and we stayed in this hotel from Oct 8 - Oct 17, 2011. This hotel is close to everything right at the end of the shopping/party strip so it doesn't get to noisy. We were able to walk to all of the cool restaurants and clubs on Laugavegur street. The rooms were a little small but when in Iceland who wants to sleep B-). This hotel is literally on the 4th floor of the building. The third floor is where the 101 guesthouse is located. The water smell a little like sulfur but this isnt a deal breaker at all. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank J W
Ocean, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed in the 4th floor hotel a number of times on a recent 2 week trip around Iceland. The staff, a conglomeration of young folks from around the globe, get credit for trying hard to accomodate us, but the hotel is quite limited. The 4th floor hotel is in a converted office building, with rooms on the 2nd and 4th floors and in an adjacent building (the 3rd floor of the 4th floor hotel building is part of another hotel called Guesthouse 101). The result of the conversion is a hotel with oddly shaped rooms interspersed with rooms that are not part of the hotel including a seamstress and what seems to be a dentist's office. Some of the rooms are almost too small to open a suitcase, and some have noisy grinders to process toilet waste, as part of a convoluted plumbing system. The grinder activates every time you turn on the sink, shower or toilet, with a loud irritating sound that can be heard in adjacent rooms too. There is no air conditioning in the rooms. If you are wondering - does a hotel in Iceland need air conditioning - during the summer the small rooms get extremely stuffy and hot and you don't want to open the windows, as the street is extremely noisy throughout the night and opening the windows makes it impossible to sleep. The beds were quite narrow and simple, more like those found in a lodge than in a fine hotel. There are 2 computers with internet, while catching up on emails late one night I got to hear a manager screaming at a staffer and the two getting into a small altercation. There is no room service available, no ice machine, no fitness center, and showers (if your room has its own) that are difficult to maneuver into and few of the amenities that you would expect even from a Motel 6 or Super 8 type of motel in the U.S. The hotel's redeeming quality was the willingness of the staff to try to make things right. Its worst quality is the location; our entire group spent each morning commiserating at each other's inability to sleep with the drunks shouting on the street throughout the night and into the morning.

Room Tip: If staying in the summer perhaps ask for a portable air conditioner in your room; the hotel has one...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank HikeBikeSkiGuy

Travelers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

There are a few reason my stay at this hotel was less than desirable:

1) There were BED BUGS in the room. I started being bitten the first night and thought it was mosquitos, I later found out there are no mosquitos in Iceland. Then on my last night I woke up at 3am and saw the bed bugs on my bed!!!

I made the front desk aware of the problem and asked management to contact me and perhaps help me pay the laundry bill that I would incur in boiling all of my things in hopes of not bringing them home with me. It has been a week and management has not bothered to contact me in any way.

2) I waited about 30 min when I first arrived for someone to come to the front desk and check me in. I arrived at 5pm and was very tired from my flight and not pleased with having to wait. This would have been a minor problem if management had bothered to contact me at all about problem #1

3) There were white stains all over the black pillows, bed spread, and curtains. If they aren't cleaning such dirt you can see then it makes me question how well they are cleaning the rest of the room.

4) The shared washrooms are absolutely disgusting. I have had better facilities in hostels. (PS there is also a hostel right below the hotel on the 3rd floor). There were always always always pubic hairs in one shower (thank God I brought flip flops!) and the other shower was small and the shower curtain always stuck to you while trying to shower (and it didn't seem all that clean so I didn't want it touching me). Also the showers leak so the washrooms always have a damp disgusting feeling, not so great when you need to use the toilet!

5) One front desk individual was very rude when talking to me. I just felt uncomfortable when asking questions or bringing up concerns.

All in all Iceland is a beautiful country and I very much enjoyed my trip, but I absolutely hated this hotel and probably should've packed my things and changed hotels the first night (next time I won't stick around this long in such a crappy hotel).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank SuburbanDoll
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Fairly basic accommodation, but the rooms were clean, spacious, & attractively and modernly decorated (I booked a superior room).

Saturday night there was a lot of street noise, but that is to be expected...I should have been out partying, not trying to sleep.

Staff was very nice, the breakfast was a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Rerally liked the layour of room 203
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Windsor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here in 2008 and again in 2011. We were in a large, family room in the main hotel in 2009, and in the adjoining apartment building this year. The facilities for a family were great. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, looking after our luggage when we arrived on the very early flight from Toronto; this allowed us to go out exploring right away, and making sure we were well-equipped with maps, etc., for our day. In addition, the rental car rates they have here are extremely reasonable. We had a very early flight on the morning of our departure, and the staff made us lunch bag breakfasts to take on the bus.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Woodville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My friend and I travelled to Iceland from Canada to experience the beautiful scenery, friendly people and warm unique environment of Reykjavik. We stayed for one week and the staff at the fourth floor hotel were outstandingly helpful and polite. The rooms were clean, the food was amazing and environment was a mix of modern and classy.

VERY highly reccomended.