“Vegetarian Options available”

Ranked #30 of 519 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Seafood, International, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is situated at Skolavordustigur 40 in Reykjavik. The design concept is a mixture of warm modern Icelandic feel with international touch wherein furniture of designer Tom Dixon play the main role. The restaurants is on two floors with an open kitchen and a wieldy bar. The restaurant is divided into spaces with cozy leather couches and has a variety of different table settings. The cuisine is feel good comfort food with a twist on classic cuisine. The menu offers a variety of starters, salads, fish, steaks and desserts. The head chef, Sævar Lárusson is a young ambitious chef who has gathered years of experience at Reykjavík‘s best restaurants, working along side many of the country’s most renown chefs. The restaurant centers around a bar where the country's best cocktail bartenders serve craft cocktails from the best ingredients available and are offering an ambitious cocktail list.
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Our first attempt at dinner here we were told we needed a reservation. We ended up going somewhere else and making a reservation for the next day. I was very pleased to be served a vegetarian option. I ordered a cauliflower and lettuce starter and a nut loaf with mashed potatoes for my entrée. The starter was absolutely divine. I would eat that dish every day. The entrée was also good, but probably not something I would order often.

3  Thank CaraM2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

I echo every positive review written here. I will, however, address the negative reviews. Those reviewers are probably the type of people who can't be pleased by anything. The service was wonderful; the waiters are attractive and kind. The food was salted just right and the portions are more than sufficient to be fulfilling. We had the six course tasting menu- it was scrumptious. So, my point is- if you are considering not going to this restaurant because of a few negative reviews from people who can't be pleased, then you probably can't be pleased either. Bon appetite!

3  Thank WayneF741
Reviewed August 23, 2014

With all of the great reviews, we couldn't wait to try Kol. Were SO disappointed. We spent probably $150 each or more on the tasting menu with wine pairings. There was nothing served to us that we actually enjoyed, including the mushy/saucy taco or the fish with carrot foam or something. The wine pairing was a rip-off. I almost dropped my fork when the guy tried to explain the apple notes of the Jacob's Creek riesling they sell in the store in NY for $5 on the bottom shelf. We paid top dollar for that wine pairing and were insulted. Midway through our dinner the server just left at the end of his shift and never said goodbye. His initial good service would have bumped the rating up a notch (Maybe). We had to flag someone down to take over after patiently waiting for 30 minutes. Never again. Horrible experience.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

This was my first stop to eat and I was very pleased with the result! My waitress was very pleasant and knew the menu very well, she was able to detail how things were cooked & seasoned. The one delivering the food was much less so.
I had a salmon entree that was cooked just to done, perfect! There was very nice bread while you wait for your meal. Coffee was good too, I rarely have alcohol in a restaurant anymore as I find the cost is not worth it.
Speaking of price, as with everything in Iceland, it was a very costly lunch. The meal was definitely good to the point where I felt it was worth it, I learned that you'll see prices like these everywhere here. It seemed that there were many locals not just tourists eating here which I think is also a sign of a good restaurant choice.

2  Thank TravelgalMission_BC
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Great staff and great food! Actually visited twice within a week. The lamb and cod dishes were excellent. Staff helpful and knowledgable about the wine and beer offerings. Outstanding place to eat.

3  Thank Art N