“Great value and excellent location”

Centerhotel Arnarhvoll
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Reykjavik
Cardiff
“Great value and excellent location”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Arrived at 11.30am and the room wasn't ready but they kindly stored our luggage so that we could go out to explore. We went back to the hotel at 2pm and the room was available for us. We had completed the forms on arrival so it was just a case of giving us the key but check in was very quick and easy. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Our room 314 on the 3rd floor was located on the rear of the building but we were not too bothered by this. They only have a black out blind and some early morning sun did get through on the edges but I was on holiday and it doesn't get light very early so it wasn't a problem. Might be a bit different during the 24hr sun in the summer months. We did not get to use the Northern Light wake up service because they didn't come out to play while we were here. The room was a good size compared to a lot of Icelandic hotels. The bathroom is a wet room with shower which, wasn't a problem at all as there was a squeegy supplied to dry the floor. I did find it difficult to get the water hot enough.

The bar on the 8th (top) floor has a fantastic view all around and prices are very similar to any top city destination. The staff serve you at your table (even for drinks) but are very friendly and love to have a chat about their country and how to pronounce the hotel name. I cannot comment on the food (apart from breakfast) as I did not eat here due to the limited choice of the menu. Breakfast is excellent with a choice of hot (sausage, bacon, eggs, toast and porridge) and cold foods (ham,cheese, cereal, bread, fruit, cake, etc) you would certainly not go hungry and it lasted me until dinner. There was also fruit juice, water, tea and coffee available. It is a small area and sometimes it could be difficult to get a table, especially at 9am.

My only complaint is the fire escape which is also the main stairway. I walked from the bar down to my room and the 7th and 8th floors were full of stored items in the stairwell, the rest of the floors were clear. As a Fire Risk Assessor and Fire Warden for my company I am trained to spot potential hazards. This is a very serious risk and would make exit very difficult in case of emergency. This needs to be sorted as soon as possible and I am writing to the hotel to voice my concerns.

I cannot comment on the spa as I didn't use it.

I would recommend whale watching and a trip to the Blue Lagoon. If you are going for the Northern lights go out every night you are there if they run a trip until you see them. I've been twice and still haven't seen them. Had I gone out the very first night on my first stay I would have got to view them.

All in all this is a lovely hotel, ideally located to explore Reykjavic.

Would I stay here again? Definately

Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Suffolk UK
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed here recently on a short break and were very pleased with the quality of the Hotel for the money we paid. Check-in was quickly achieved and although the reception area is quite minimalistic there is a large seating area/room with a few local photographic books but strangely no tourist leaflets that I could see!
Our rooms which were on the 2nd and 3rd floors with corner views of the Harpa center and harbour area were admittedly snug but absolutely fine although I did find it strange not to have any enclosed drawer space therefore all undies stayed in the suitcase but there is open shelving and clothes hangers for all other clothing - suppose it makes it easy on departure to see at a glance that nothing has been left behind!. Also in the room is a fridge, hospitality tray and TV - blackout blinds ensure you have a good nights sleep in the very comfortable bed. The modern toilet/shower room has an easy to use shower area with glass door and comes equipped with a floor sqeezy so you can mop up afterwards!
Breakfast is seved in the 8th floor Sky Lounge (also the bar) and there is a very good choice of hot and cold food available in the buffet selection. Happy hour is held here 5 - 7pm each evening with a large local beer for 500kr. This area, for us, will be the deciding factor in us returning to stay here on our next visit as the views over Reykjavik and the Harbour are just wonderful from both inside the room and from the outside sun terraces. - would be heaven to sit out there on a Summers evening I think!
We found the Hotel to be ideally situated as its only a 5 minute walk from many of the restaurants and directly across the road from the Harpa Center with its colourful night time light show and on this visit we explored more of the Old Town but did abandon our attempt at walking to the Grotta Lighthouse because of the snowy weather: sitting in a warm coffee house drinking hot chocolate was much more agreeable with the climate!
We had an enjoyable stay at the Leifur Eriksson (opposite the Hallgrimskirkja) on our previous visit to Reykjavik which has more of a traditional style about it but I certainly feel that the modern Arnarhvoll with its friendly staff and wonderful views
will cetainly woo us back next time.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

A wonderful stay! All staff encountered were friendly and helpful. Location perfect - although it may seem on the edge of town on the map, Reykjavik is a small city and all sights are an easy walk away. Room was bright, comfortable and always clean. I had requested a view as it was my boyfriends birthday trip and think we were upgraded to a deluxe room as we had a perfect view across to mount Esja (room 410). They offer a 24 hr call service if the northern lights are on display - they call your room to wake you up and let you go up to the roof top bar. We saw a wonderful display this way. The roof top bar is where breakfast is served (included). A good mix of eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, fruit, savory items and pastries. Overall a brilliant stay and would definitely recommend!

• Stayed March 2014
CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE
Reviewed March 14, 2014

First a line or two about the Centerhotel Arnarhvoll...The best thing about this hotel is its location and its desk staff. It's strategically located within walking distance of just about everything you could want to do. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The hotel itself is plain and the rooms are small but was all we needed for a shower and a clean place to sleep.Now a few words about Iceland... Getting there and being there are two entirely different things...beware of sticker shock. Went to Iceland to see the Northern Lights-check, geysers-check, geothermal pools-check, volcanoes and mountains-check, etc. Amazingly beautiful landscapes in every direction. I expected it to be cold and snowy at the end of February...got very little of either. Only downside was that it was equally amazingly expensive. Surprisingly enough a recent article on the Top 10 most expensive vacation destinations did not include Iceland. Going in I understood that Iceland must import nearly everything and that prices for meals would need to be higher but some things seem to be disproportionately expensive. ie. a helicopter tour (volcano) is over $1,000 pp. A Grand Canyon or an Hawaiian trip is $250pp. Meals are small compared to the US and are at least double in price. Trinkets like a refrigerator magnet is $9 US, a Tshirt $25, a cup of coffee is $4, etc. A pint of beer at $9 was probably the best value. Although, a pitcher of beer and a plate of nachos will set you back $25-30. There is no place in Iceland you can go to escape these prices...even Icelanders can't escape it. Only thing is that salaries in Iceland are proportionately high so they're not doing too bad.Unlike other countries (ie Bahamas) you can leave the tourist traps to seek out bargains. Not going to happen in Iceland.Apparently these prices are not exclusive to the import problem and are in response a financial meltdown. Absolutely glad I went and would love to return as I did not even scratch the surface but until things calm down with prices I will choose other destinations.

Room Tip: If possible try to get a room facing the water and mountains.
1 Thank THOMAS D
Bexleyheath, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The hotel was in a great location; easy to get to restaurants, bars and museums. And it had a great view of the bay and surrounding mountains and of the beautiful Harpa concert hall. The rooms had everything we needed and were warm and comfortable. We were on the 2nd floor and there was some traffic noise from the busy road that ran out the front of the hotel but it didn't affect us much. The bar at the top of the hotel had panoramic views and the service was great too. The help we received from the reception staff was also very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bay for great views.
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The hotel was in the perfect position for sightseeing in Reykjavik, close to all the amenities and restautants. Our room was quite small but did have all the facilities for a short city break, and was more than compensated by the Sky Lounge and Bar on the 8th floor, with superb views over the harbour and snow capped mountains.BUT -you do need to take advantage of the HAPPY HOUR from 5.00 pm to 7.00pm.Unfortunately the menu is not a full A La Carte, but does offer a lighter menu and breakfast is excellent.

Accokeek, Maryland
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Our Iceland trip was truly awesome! I'd like to first say the our travel agent from Gate 1 travel took care of us really well. We were given an itinerary that was convenient for us. We were also provided an itinerary, vouchers for our whole trip, helpful instructions and useful information. Everything was carefully planned out. We never felt like we did not know what was going to happen next. I would definitely schedule another trip with them again and recommend them to everyone. The price was also reasonably priced.

Our hotel location was right in front of the Atlantic Ocean and Mt. Esja. It was a magnificent view! Our hotel had its own spa and bar! All the receptionists were sooo patient and sooo helpful! The tours were always on time. Breakfast was great, but I wish they offered something different everyday.

• Stayed February 2014