“Excellent location”

Centerhotel Arnarhvoll
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Reykjavik
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel was mostly good. It was in a really good spot, right across the street from Harpa and a short walking distance to the majority of restaurants/shops in the city. We had beautiful views out of our window of the water and mountains. The room was clean & a decent size for being in the city. The breakfast was really good (the best in any of the hotels where we stayed in Iceland) and had many hot items like bacon, eggs, and sausage. The views from the restaurant were also really beautiful. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and I liked that they had a sign-up sheet to have your room called if there were any northern lights. My only complaints are the shower/bathroom size and the noise from the hotel rooms. I didn't expect the shower to be good after reading the reviews here, and I didn't mind the weird door set-up, but the showerhead was sort of broken with water spraying out everywhere and the water temperature would shift from hot to cold randomly. There was also hardly any space to shower even with the "door" open. The other thing was the noise. Every time someone shut or opened their door on our floor it sounded like someone was trying to get into our room (and it startled us every time!). The doors didn't really block out any sound from the hallway and they felt like they weren't shutting all the way even when they were. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for a shorter stay (we stayed 2 nights), but I'm not sure I'd want to base my whole trip out of it. The shower/noise thing could've gotten annoying after a while.

4  Thank michelle b

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Staff were friendly and knowledgeable, rooms very, nice but not much space for clothes (we stayed a week) breakfast was tasty but a bit on the cool side. Good position for Reykjavik and tour booking x overall we would book this hotel again...
...after all they did have happy hour on the beer !!

Room Tip: Ask for a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gaynormartyn
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights mid November 2012. The main reason to pick this hotel was that it is opposite the Harpa building, where I was attending a conference. Besides Harpa, it's also close (or in) downtown Reykjavik. From the rooms, there was a nice view over Harpa and the bay. Given it was November and dark, I couldn't really profit from the Panorama restaurant. Staff was friendly, the receptionist offered a wake-up call in case of emerging northern light (and the only little bit of northern light I saw during my stay, was after such a wake-up call). Personally, I found the room a bit dull (I didn't see the 'design' element, it was just very spartan) and the breakfast rather basic (compared to a cheaper hotel a bit out of the center where I had stayed one year earlier). For the latter two reasons, the overall score is 'average' and not 'very good'.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChristopheDM
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Lovely hotel in the center of Reykjavic. Easy walking to dining, shopping, and the bay. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. Breakfast was included. We love Iceland, but do not expect great food. The breads were wonderful however, and service in the restaurants we tried was impeccable. Going back in 1 month!

Room Tip: All the rooms are radiant heated from the floor up. The beds were all down pillows and comforters (w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol B
Reviewed April 7, 2013

A clean and modern hotel in an excellent location. We got a room facing the sea. Had an awesome panoramic view of the Esja mountain range. Due to the low level of light pollution around the mountains, we managed to catch a glimpse of the northern lights from the comfort of our hotel room! While the hotel claims to notify guests (by calling your room) if there are northern lights at night, don't count on it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a stay in Iceland
On the plus side;
• Small free car park at the rear (if you are lucky enough to get one of the 4 or 5 spaces)
• Chose a delux room which included spa entrance, a larger room and high floor sea rooms- worth it if you can afford the upgrade
• Handy central location
• Modern

But;
• Arrived before check in time and room was not ready – although they did offer to store the case whilst the room was prepared to enable you to go out
• The bathroom is a wet room and everything does really get very wet when you have a shower
• Average breakfast could be better quality

Overall would I stay here again after visiting….yes, I would

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a delux room- you get a guaranteed sea view and included spa entrance
1  Thank thecoaster
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had a 3 night stay here in March 2013. The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Recommendations for restaurants were very good and the breakfast at the hotel could set you up for the day. Our room overlooked the sea and distant mountains. The views from the restaurant were amazing and it was only a short walk to the centre of Reykjavik. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the sea.